Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intermittent/auto wiper problem

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Johnell

Intermittent/auto wiper problem

Post by Johnell » Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 pm

X5 2006 3.0d Sport Auto
I've got a bit of a strange problem when the wipers are set to the intermittent/auto wiper setting (position 1).

The auto/intermittent wiper setting works fine if I turn it on when I'm driving.  However, if I stop and turn the engine off, when I start the engine again with the wiper stalk still in position 1 they don't work, even if the screen is covered in rain.  All I have to do is move the speed selector to a different position and the wipers start working again.  Turn the engine off then on again and they stop working.

This doesn't happen if the wipers are on the normal or fast speed settings.

It's not a major issue but it's obviously not right so I'm wondering if anybody has had the same problem and if there's a fix for it.
2006 3.0d Sport. Black Sapphire Metallic. Black Nappa. TV. Nav. Climate, Comms and Sport Plus packs. 20" wheels

Ask the question and you are a fool for 5 minutes.....don't ask the question and you are a fool for life......

dgm

Re: Intermittent/auto wiper problem

Post by dgm » Wed May 15, 2013 12:15 am

That's the way they work for whatever reason.  Every BMW I've had has done the same, no fix required.
2011 E70 X5 40d

Gone - 05 E53 X5 Exclusive Edition, Carbon Black, Ecru leather, Intravee, Alpine TUA-T100DAB

scooby1doo1

Post by scooby1doo1 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 am

Its so when you go to car wash your wipers dont go off and get ragged off, pretty smart really I mean who takes the car to be washed when its raining.
So just do what your doing to reactivate it or turn wipers off then back on.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Johnell

Post by Johnell » Wed May 15, 2013 6:21 am

That's good news, thanks for the rapid responses guys :)
2006 3.0d Sport. Black Sapphire Metallic. Black Nappa. TV. Nav. Climate, Comms and Sport Plus packs. 20" wheels

Ask the question and you are a fool for 5 minutes.....don't ask the question and you are a fool for life......

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Wed May 15, 2013 3:23 pm

they should build a 'car wash sensor' to not activate it in there then lol

cos that's 99% usability compromised, its as if no auto wiper cos it has to be manually switched on.

how do other brands deal with this?
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 15, 2013 3:49 pm

[quote="jaynana"]
they should build a 'car wash sensor' to not activate it in there then lol
cos that's 99% usability compromised, its as if no auto wiper cos it has to be manually switched on.
how do other brands deal with this?
[/quote]

.....by not offering it perhaps?  ;)

Anyway what are you doing taking the car through a car wash.......oh the horror!!

:)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Wed May 15, 2013 3:57 pm

i don't do that actually - i have the form thingy and the works, just tempted on teh undercarriage thingy too but not yet dragged my credit card out on that one yet lol

which means i want the damn wiper to work when it rains! i have no risk of it getting caught in a car wash!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 15, 2013 4:05 pm

I take it you've adjusted the sensitivity control on the right stalk?

Is the 'window' at the top of the screen starting to get misty?  That can affect the way the system works, or stop it all together.

I've got a very dead spider in my sensor and I have no idea how it got in there.  Nicely crisped by the sun though!!  Haven't been brave enough to remove all the plastics to get at it and remove said critter.

R

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Wed May 15, 2013 4:15 pm

it works as intended R, what i meant is, i want it to work without me having to give it a kick  the first time..

because i don't do car washes and therefore there's no risk of it getting caught so i don't need that safety feature of the auto wiper needing a kick in the butt the first time it rains! i just want it to start the first time it rains.. i mean.. that's what auto is right lol

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Makes perfect sense.......but it's a BMW System so being the 'ultimate drive', it needs the 'ultimate' type of rain to work as you (or I) would expect.... ;)

R

Johnell

Post by Johnell » Wed May 15, 2013 6:03 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
I take it you've adjusted the sensitivity control on the right stalk?[/quote]
That's how I get it to work again.

[quote="X5Sport"]
Is the 'window' at the top of the screen starting to get misty?  That can affect the way the system works, or stop it all together.[/quote]
Sensor is clean and clear.

I accept that it is working to spec but still find it a bit odd because you wouldn't have your ignition on or your engine running in a carwash.....or am I missing something else? 

Johnell

Post by Johnell » Wed May 15, 2013 6:08 pm

[quote="jaynana"]
i just want it to start the first time it rains.. i mean.. that's what auto is right lol[/quote]
Couldn't agree more mate.  Does anybody know if it can be disabled?

scooby1doo1

Post by scooby1doo1 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:01 pm

[quote="jaynana"]
it works as intended R, what i meant is, i want it to work without me having to give it a kick  the first time..

because i don't do car washes and therefore there's no risk of it getting caught so i don't need that safety feature of the auto wiper needing a kick in the butt the first time it rains! i just want it to start the first time it rains.. i mean.. that's what auto is right lol
[/quote]

So who puts the gear leaver into D R N then or even sport, I mean auto it should know right.
Cheaper brand cars don't disable once ignition as been turned off, father in laws turns on at the first sight of rain.
All well and good but I to dont use AUTO car washers, I use them ones thats popping up all over the place at old petrol stations. So in this situation they go mental, not hard though just flicking the switch.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using tapacrap 2

Johnell

Post by Johnell » Thu May 16, 2013 11:09 am

[quote="scooby1doo1"]
All well and good but I to dont use AUTO car washers, I use them ones thats popping up all over the place at old petrol stations. So in this situation they go mental, not hard though just flicking the switch. [/quote]
Of course it's no problem to flick the switch but I fail to see the logic of why you have to.

Also, if your ignition is off when your car is being washed the wipers can't work so I don't understand why yours "go mental".  Again, am I missing something?

The thing I just don't get is why BMW programmed this.  Surely you wouldn't turn the ignition on until you wanted to drive off, and if it's raining you need the wipers?  I cannot think of a situation where you would restart your car and not want the wipers to work.

scooby1doo1

Post by scooby1doo1 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:54 pm

[quote="Johnell"]
[quote="scooby1doo1"]
All well and good but I to dont use AUTO car washers, I use them ones thats popping up all over the place at old petrol stations. So in this situation they go mental, not hard though just flicking the switch. [/quote]
Of course it's no problem to flick the switch but I fail to see the logic of why you have to.

Also, if your ignition is off when your car is being washed the wipers can't work so I don't understand why yours "go mental".  Again, am I missing something?

The thing I just don't get is why BMW programmed this.  Surely you wouldn't turn the ignition on until you wanted to drive off, and if it's raining you need the wipers?  I cannot think of a situation where you would restart your car and not want the wipers to work.
[/quote]

My point was that its a safty thing nothing more nothing less, my X did the same as prob every body else's does.
I tuck the father in laws to the car wash and they went mental, he does not have an X nor a BMW for that matter.
My point was that other brand cars not BM's don't disable when the ignition as been turned off and its more a pain when they go off when your getting the car washed, never seen anybody turn car off when in a car wash before. Whats the point in that, your on about a silly auto function not doing an auto function but now you have to select park ignition off and vice versa to start it back up. Adding more movements to the matter, pointless. Id sooner not tempt fate and leave as intended, but lucky me no longer as a BM nor do I have the auto wipers for that matter and good ridons I say to it as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using tapacrap 2