Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

powder coated alloys

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Jayx5

powder coated alloys

Post by Jayx5 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Ive just had my alloys powder coated at a place called paint it uk based in Billericay essex. I paid a bit more and went for a glossier paint finish.ImageImage
2010 space grey se dynamic pack and lots of toys

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: powder coated alloys

Post by storminmike » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:53 pm

[quote="jayx5"]
Ive just had my alloys powder coated at a place called paint it uk based in Billericay essex. I paid a bit more and went for a glossier paint finish.ImageImage
[/quote]

look nice as far as I can tell

were they blasted clean first and what with?
did they need any work before coating for scrapes?
how would you compare them to OE finish?
what was the turn aorund time and cost?

Londoner

Post by Londoner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Looks like a fantastic job to me.

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Nice one

They look great 8)

Last thing on my list to do after my detail...

Fortunately I have a place literally around the corner from me that does a full refurb in a day, drop the car off at 8am/ pick up all finished 5pm..

Had my previous merc done a couple of years ago and they're still looking great ( sold it to my dad)!!
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

Jayx5

Post by Jayx5 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:53 pm

They were dipped in acid first to remove old paint etc then all scrapes are welded up and then machined off and then powder coated and baked. They cost £300 (got a little discount cos my brother in law had his done at the same time)the finish is a lot glossier than oe but due to it being a thin paint it does show up a few inperfections. I had 2 of them done again cos I wasnt happy. It took 2 days and they take off/re fit and balance tyres for free. They also have a 3 year warranty.
2010 space grey se dynamic pack and lots of toys