Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lowering

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Johnny-p

Re: Lowering

Post by Johnny-p » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Cheers anyway..!!

It's solved one of my front bumper problems as the previous owner has tried unsuccessfully to mend some blemishes..

I take it you had the rear skirt done aswell??
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:20 pm

i had every single piece that is black plastic done, all bumper bottoms, arches, arch extensions, side steps, gill inners, grilll bits in top of bonnet, my ac schnitzer rear spoiler, but i also had the outer of the grill painted as well as the 4.8is kit and the whole car barring the roof and rear tailgate top in blue and i paid £600
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:24 pm

:o :o like you say -mates rates!!!
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

macca

Post by macca » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:39 pm

i understand how lowered/reset coil springs lower a car, but educate me how does an air bag suspended car get lower

answer------reduced air pressure, effects of reduced air pressure = softer ride more wallowing and less load carrying capacity, simple moving a sensor position ONLY tricks the system to believing the ride height is standard when in fact its not.

so what am i missing??.

i would suggest that lowering the rear of an airbag suspended vehicle by lowering the airbag pressure is a dangerous way of doing it, and especially so if you intend to tow.

but hey what would i know, you can do what ever you like its your car,

oh by the way softening the rear suspension also generally causes the car to want to understeer, which in my humble opinion is NOT what you want, and negates the whole purpose of having the ultimate driving machine.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:07 am

Looks crap Mark, you know mine is the true benchmark.....lol

[quote="shadrack"]
-40mm on 22s
[/quote]

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:11 am

As for lowering on airbags, yes you are reduciong the air contained in the bag by fooling the sensor into thinking the rear is sat higher than it is and so causing the system to reduce the air in the bag to bring it down. This will reduce the travel in the shock which is really what helps to dampen the ride and so you will find the ride will actually become firmer and tbh a little more choppy/crashy and not as smooth. Depending upon how low you'd like to take it you should also consider that you will wear the rear shocks out faster and the negative camber will increase.

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:23 pm

[quote="macca"]
i understand how lowered/reset coil springs lower a car, but educate me how does an air bag suspended car get lower

answer------reduced air pressure, effects of reduced air pressure = softer ride more wallowing and less load carrying capacity, simple moving a sensor position ONLY tricks the system to believing the ride height is standard when in fact its not.

so what am i missing??.

i would suggest that lowering the rear of an airbag suspended vehicle by lowering the airbag pressure is a dangerous way of doing it, and especially so if you intend to tow.

but hey what would i know, you can do what ever you like its your car,

oh by the way softening the rear suspension also generally causes the car to want to understeer, which in my humble opinion is NOT what you want, and negates the whole purpose of having the ultimate driving machine.
[/quote]

if you want the ultimate driving machine buy an m3 lol and x5 is good but a 2 tonne tank will never handle that good.
As for towing the lowered x5 still levels exacly as it should and as raj says maybe slightly harder, no soft rear and no understeer,  the ride can be the same as yes you are lowering the car so pressure is reduced but as the bag isnt as inflated your also reducing the volume  of air capacity inside, so a lower volume can give the same ride

on a more urgent note just seen outside  ITS ONLY BLOODY SNOWING!!!!!!!!
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:28 pm

You've got a bl@@dy Landrover, quit griping.... >:D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:56 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
You've got a bl@@dy Landrover, quit griping.... >:D
[/quote]

im just saying lowering is fine, also if swmbo wanted a landrover you'd have one too (less hastle) lol
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Unfortunately she gets car sick so the soft RR ride does for her very quickly.  I did look at RRS a few years back but was told on no uncertain circumstances we would not be owning one........ :puke: :hypo:

She's a bit of a petrolhead too and they don't suit her image!  An M3 E46 would do, but she settled on the 330Cd MSport version instead... :drive:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

B5tew

Post by B5tew » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:18 pm

I can honestly say I have not noticed any difference in the ride of my car since lowering it and the rear air works exactly as it odd before
When I hitch up my caravan the air in the rear pumps up to the same height as before
If anything I think it tows better as the caravan is slightly nose down now where as before it sat dead level Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2015 Space grey 30d F15

macca

Post by macca » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:46 am

guys i think my comments about the X5 being the  'ultimate driven machine" stand

sure an M3 would be nice but............

my X5 is lowered ( springs) turbo diesel, AND MINE is debt free, so what does that give me

great overall visibility when driving , great handling, fantastic fuel economy for a 2 tonne vehicle, love the torque on winding mountain roads, high level of safety and no payments,

yep "ultimate driving machine"

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:18 pm

The air suspension will still work exactly as it should but the airbag will be deflated compared to a non lowered equipped one. So the ride will change marginally.

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:51 pm

B5tew

How low have you gone and where/what front springs did you fit?

I take it the rear was lowered electronically?

John

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:52 pm

[quote="Johnny-p"]
B5tew

How low have you gone and where/what front springs did you fit?

I take it the rear was lowered electronically?

John
[/quote]

bstew has my old springs on  ;)
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy