Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E53 Bluetooth Module Question?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
james8whippy

E53 Bluetooth Module Question?

Post by james8whippy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi Guys,

I've never really used my bluetooth on my 2002 car as the sound quality has always been pretty rubbish. It sounds ok when in the car (you can hear the other person OKish at low volume but it starts to distort at high volume so it's usable just) but to the caller it makes me sound like I'm in a Cessna light aircraft or a hand glider lol. I did a bit of googling and I believe its down to my car being a 2002 and having a early generation ULF module. - http://www.bimmernav.com/ulfchanges.html

I did have it connected to my old iPhone 4s but since trying the other day to connect to my iPhone 5 I can't get it to scan when doing the whole ignitions off hold pairing button down fiasco so going to use Navcoder and turn it on via that hopefully.

How does everyone else find their bluetooth calls in the E53? I'd like to get an idea of model years. I was thinking if I buy a newer generation module would it improve sound quality?

Also does anyone know about this "updated software" that this seller claims improves the sound quality and voice recognition?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-GENUINE-ULF-BLUETOOTH-UPDATED-MODULE-M3-M5-X3-X5-E53-E46-E39-E38-/161195002151?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2587f88927

Cheers
James

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: E53 Bluetooth Module Question?

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:41 pm

That's a May 2004 version looking at the pic.  I know my Oct 2004 built X5 would not correctly pair with a 2007 vintage HTC mobile.  The audio in mine wasn't too bad to be honest.

Be nice to know exactly what version really is in there?
Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi James

I have a 2005 3.0d, when I bought it last year all I did was erase all previous users and it synced with my iPhone 5 first time..

I've had no problems since and find the sound quality fine (I've listened both ends to check)..

I had 2005 E class merc before this and the sound quality was just as good..

HTH

John.
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

kpatel

Post by kpatel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:52 pm

You need to replace the microphone with a noise - cancelling one. The one in your car is green. The newer black one works much better

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuine-E ... 232ee691ce

Not sure if a software ULF update will work as the hardware changed 13 times until BMW got it right.

james8whippy

Post by james8whippy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies and helpful feedback guys!

I think I'm going to try a new noise cancelling microphone first  part no:  84 31 6 938 762 and see if that helps and if not then upgrade the ULF to at least a 4th/5th generation module.

I still don't understand what this "upgrade" is from the seller on ebay though?

james8whippy

Post by james8whippy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:28 am

Bit of weird one this.... I was bored waiting in the car over the weekend and happened to have BMW scanner 1.4 in the car with my laptop so I thought I would give it a go at pairing again and it paired perfectly to my iPhone 4S and 5.

I made a few test calls and it didn't get that Glider engine noise when listening on the callers end. I can see what you mean about the original microphone being rubbish it picked up every small noise so I can imagine the new noise cancelling being much better. I thought well at least I'm not getting that glider engine noise anymore..........Until I switched on the lights!

So it seems I only get that noise when the lights are on. I thought I wonder if its to do with the HID kits I installed but then I remembered it did it before on the original factory Xenons too. Also when I put it on sidelights it still does it so I would think it has nothing to do with the HIDs and is just some weird electrical interference.

Anyone heard of this before? I just don't want to go buying a new microphone and newer generation ULF module and still get the noise... Or maybe it's one of those items that is the problem and replacing them may fix it???

Cheers
James

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:18 pm

I would suggest turning off bulb check systems and see if that helps
Then turn back on in staged approach to see which one did it
then work from there

Worth a try...
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

james8whippy

Post by james8whippy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Steamyrotter.

I've recently turned off the headlights check control due to flickering on the HID's kits I installed. I also turned the rest off anyway because all of the other bulbs on the car are LED too and thought I don't need it anyway.

It did have interference even back when I bought the car 3 years ago before I mucked around with all the lights and when it was totally standard...

Cheers

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Ah..

you found the flaw in my plan then....

Could be an earthing problem
Try earthing the ULF module to the -ve of the battery.
Could also be the mic wire feeding along the car..check the connections on each end
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)