Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door Mirror Fell Off

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
7builder

Door Mirror Fell Off

Post by 7builder » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Well I bought a 2003 3.0D X5 on Thursday and I am really happy with it. Having d=said that it wasn't until I washed it did I discover that nothing mechanical was fixing the mirror body to the mount fixed to the door. It's my own fault for not spotting it when I bought it.
I took it off the door and discovered that the internal cast aluminium structure that secures the internals had sheared in half allowing the two parts of the mirror to separate as you can see in the picture.

The reason I didn't notice a problem when I bought the car is because despite the obvious internal failure the mirror still adjusted and dipped when reverse was selected. I didn't check if the mirrors folded (which this one obviously wont) because I didn't know they could.  :-[
Is it possible to purchase the internals to repair the mirror or do you have to buy a complete replacement wing mirror? I did a quick search on ebay and required the administration of smelling salts when I found out how much that second hand units are going for.

Colin

Re: Door Mirror Fell Off

Post by Colin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:36 pm

No luck with the mirror mate  , i think you can get the guts for it , did you try the search option on this forum ..
05 , 30d Le Mans Blue Sport

7builder

Post by 7builder » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:32 pm

[quote="COLIN"]
No luck with the mirror mate  , i think you can get the guts for it , did you try the search option on this forum ..
[/quote]
I'm looking at the moment Colin but not found anything relating to the guts yet, but if its there I will do eventually.

briankerrys47

Post by briankerrys47 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:46 pm

[quote="7builder"]
[quote="COLIN"]
[/quote]
I'm looking at the moment Colin but not found anything relating to the guts yet, but if its there I will do eventually.
[/quote]Get it to a welder might do the job! 8)

Stevejspm

Post by Stevejspm » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:03 am

Hi '7builder' & welcome to X5 ownership :-)

Refurbed my passenger wing mirror earlier this year due to similar (but not as catastrophic) symptoms as yours, my wing mirror was very loose & when driving the wing mirror would move with wind pressure which resulted in regular adjustments of the mirror. I bought this kit from EBay......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-E53-wi ... 3a7dd034f0

Bloody brilliant! Fixed mine a treat, nice quiet folding mirror & doesn't move at all (except when adjusting of course! ;-))

Easy to fit too.

Good luck with it & once again welcome!

7builder

Post by 7builder » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks Steve I must admit I did see this kit and thought the metal cylindrical item was a small cover for the motor. So if I understand you correctly this item is actually a mount to replace the broken diecast original depicted in my picture?
If so I would like to meet you and buy you lots of beers as you may have just saved me a not so small fortune.  :beer2:

7builder

Post by 7builder » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:04 pm

Well I took the mirror apart completely today and can now see that the repair kit on ebay will not help with the issue I have. The die cast aluminium housing that contains the motor and gears and secures the mirror to the arm is in two parts as you can see from the pictures.

I have located a replacement item from a company in Taiwan of all places and have contacted them for a price for a replacement shipped to the UK. In the meantime in a pitiful attempt to keep the mirror attached to the car I have carried out a repair with JB Weld. I am not holding out much hope but if it buys me time until the replacement part arrives then happy days.

I also found the micro switch was broken (what a surprise) and the company in Taiwan sell them as well. If they are cheap enough I'll order one but if they are expensive I am happy to forgo the folding option. I had this on my Jeep and can count on one finger the amount of times I used it.

Wish me luck and I will keep you updated on any progress.

7builder

Post by 7builder » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm

7builder

Post by 7builder » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 am

I haven't Brian. I've just done a search but can't find them either.

briankerrys47

Post by briankerrys47 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:11 pm

[quote="7builder"]
[/quote]Could not remember how I found it myself!! That was his contact! It appeared what you wanted???
Found them :) :thumbsup: [email protected] 07587262740 good luck.
Last edited by briankerrys47 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7builder

Post by 7builder » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 pm

[quote="briankerrys47"]
[quote="7builder"]
[/quote]Could not remember how I found it myself!! That was his contact! It appeared what you wanted???
Found them :) :thumbsup: [email protected] 07587262740 good luck.
[/quote]
Thanks Brian