Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

roof box and rails recommendations

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
stevo6

roof box and rails recommendations

Post by stevo6 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 am

Hi all
I'm looking to get a roof box and rails for my '08 3.0SD MSport.  Any recommendations please?
Thanks

sid10

Re: roof box and rails recommendations

Post by sid10 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi they did two versions of the E70 roof rails Se version had raised roof rails , M sport flush roof rails unfortunately neither fit each other , so just be watch out when ordering new or looking out for second hand .
  The BMW ones are very good and all the BMW bike racks & roof boxes fit into the T track system , Thule also do the roof bars & as long as you stick with Thule bike racks & roof boxes you will be fine .
    Most Thule roof boxes open both sides so easily packed , but some BMW ones only open from one side which is a pain if like me you bought 2 for a trip to France although I went for the longer narrower boxes that you can fit the bike racks on with if you use one !

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 06, 2015 9:15 pm

I have Thule Aero bars and one of their boxes.  Both really well made....if expensive.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu May 07, 2015 10:15 am

I have the BMW bars which seem perfectly good - nothing to compare them against. I used them originally on my E70 and now on my F15. One point to note is that if you leave the bars on when not carrying anything you need to put the rubber strips (supplied) back in otherwise you get a lot of wind noise. Don't know if this is the same for the other makes?
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end