Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Insurance renewal

General car related chat
pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Insurance renewal

Post by pvr » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:47 am

Just had the renewal in for the 5 cars, and notably, the X5 had jumped a lot whilst most of the others had gone down. When querying it, Admiral mentioned that the last 18 months had seen the X5 increase in risk level.

Guess it means that for most the premium will rise this year ....

With the usual "Loyalty discount", it came down a bit (by £100 to £430). Still more expensive than the Porsche for example.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Insurance renewal

Post by 535dboy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:49 pm

As I understand it having spoken to insurers before about ours, Porsches done tend to command high premiums because they don't tend to(touching all the wood I can find) get stolen.
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:24 pm

BMW security issue is part of the problem, but at least unlike Range Rovers you could still get insurance.  >:(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Dr C

Post by Dr C » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:25 am

I got my insurance renewal in a couple of weeks ago, also with Admiral, for both cars. Every year the renewal premium was ridiculous and I had to go to the hassle of getting a quote on line, which they always matched.

Anyway, this year, the renewal quote jumped from about £700 to £3,500. When I asked why, they said it was because I had two non-fault accidents in the preceding year (I was unfortunate enough to have been rear-ended twice, both times liability was quickly admitted by the third party in both cases, so no question of me being completely fault free). I was flabbergasted that the cost increased so much as a result of two non fault accidents! Maybe the increase for the X5 was rolled into this too...anyway, I went to Direct Line who beat LAST YEAR's Admiral quote, albeit I needed to get a tracker fitted. I'm happy though as I changed my buildings and contents insurance to Direct Line at the same time and got a huge discount - which paid for the tracker and the first years' subscription  :) :) :)
Current:
F15 X5 M50d
Mark 7 VW Golf GTD

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Admiral put my premium up from £600 to £2350 this year. I had one claim for theft non fault despite protected NCBs. I think underwriters have seen sharp rise in theft of x5s  :noexpression:
X5 xdrive30d sport 2012, past E39 530i sport touring , e46 330ci.

ImaginativeTruth

Post by ImaginativeTruth » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:24 am

I'm with BMW Insurance - £1100 fully comp and £400 excess compulsory on 40d - clean full licence, 35yo.

I stayed with BMW Ins as car is repaired with BMW original parts and you don't get charged to modify the policy mid way through or get 'admin fees'. Lots of insurance co's are fiddling insurance to take away basic cover items and add fees.
For example, check your policy book to see that you get genuine original new parts. Lots state that you will get OEM refurb or non oem parts - DL started doing this. May be important to some people, others not.

Your credit rating affects your insurance premium by up to £400. Be careful of online comparison sites - you will get 5-7 credit searches on your file all at once which may drop your score.

Insurance is all driven by data. If you have non fault accident then you are much more likely to go on to make a full fault claim, its why it puts up your premium...

Dr C

Post by Dr C » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:25 pm

[quote="ImaginativeTruth"]
I'm with BMW Insurance - £1100 fully comp and £400 excess compulsory on 40d - clean full licence, 35yo.

I stayed with BMW Ins as car is repaired with BMW original parts and you don't get charged to modify the policy mid way through or get 'admin fees'. Lots of insurance co's are fiddling insurance to take away basic cover items and add fees.
For example, check your policy book to see that you get genuine original new parts. Lots state that you will get OEM refurb or non oem parts - DL started doing this. May be important to some people, others not.

Your credit rating affects your insurance premium by up to £400. Be careful of online comparison sites - you will get 5-7 credit searches on your file all at once which may drop your score.

Insurance is all driven by data. If you have non fault accident then you are much more likely to go on to make a full fault claim, its why it puts up your premium...
[/quote]

Sorry, you're completely wrong - insurance searches are "soft searches" and do not affect your credit rating whatsoever, FACT.  I have alerts set up with both Experian and Equifax and I check my credit report at least once per month and never have any insurance quotes been recoded as searches. Also AFAIK your credit rating has no bearing on your insurance premium.

I did check with Direct Line, I am covered for original OEM parts.
Current:
F15 X5 M50d
Mark 7 VW Golf GTD

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:47 pm

I went with Direct Line and got £52.50 cash back via topcashback website. Premium very competitive to Privilege and 1st central (unknown?) so hopefully in the event of a claim will get reasonable service.
X5 xdrive30d sport 2012, past E39 530i sport touring , e46 330ci.

chris.t

Post by chris.t » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:01 pm

[quote="bubbabear"]
I went with Direct Line and got £52.50 cash back via topcashback website. Premium very competitive to Privilege and 1st central (unknown?) so hopefully in the event of a claim will get reasonable service.
[/quote]

Direct Line have always been good with me and i have been with them for 12 years
Present 2016 Audi S8
Previous 2014 BMW 640d msport
Previous 2012 BMW X5 30d msport