Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front lights Halogen/Xenon

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
kougarman

Front lights Halogen/Xenon

Post by kougarman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi All - I'm a newbie to the forum and need some advice.  I'm just in the last throws of buying my 1st X5 SE  "57" (Nov 2007)plate from a BMW dealer but need some guidance on what type of lights the car is fitted with when it leaves the factory?  Our top buying feature and 1st question to the salesman was when enquiring about the X5 was did it have xenon lights (or bi xenon).  Trouble is, nowhere on the sales details he emailed me does it mention "xenons"  My current 4 x 4 has xenon for low beam and halogen for main beam and we don't want anything less than that.  So, is the standard fit all halogen or part xenon, part halogen?  I'II appreciate a quick response as I hope to conclude the deal tomorrow and it could be a deal stopper! 

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Front lights Halogen/Xenon

Post by Horizon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:24 pm

On the E70 the Xenon equipped cars have a dummy inner lamp that houses the Angel eye bulb. This bulb feeds the rings in each headlight unit via a light tube. The dipped beam and high beam are the same bulb, but with a flap that lifts when on high beam. ( bi xenon )
The halogen version has an angel eye bulb ( which needs the head light or at least the wheel arch liner removing to replace the bulb, mare of a job to replace, and two separate bulbs for high or dipped beam in the adjoining light compartments I think. These may enable the dipped beam bulb to be changed to a HID bulb to upgrade to Xenon standard as was the E53.
This is how I see it. If it has a turn wheel adjuster to adjust the level of the headlights near the headlight switch it has Halogen headlights. If it doesn't it is fitted with Xenons. White dipped beam = Xenons
Yellow headlight colour = Halogen
Check HIDS direct to see if a HIDS kit is available
Also get the Vin number and check real OEM to see the build sheet ( last 7 digits )
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:46 pm

I would hazard a guess that it doesnt have xenon and is a poorly spec'd halogen equipped car.  These cars are plentiful available used.  Find a better spec'd example, bound to be a better deal out there.  Don't settle on something just because you are in negotiations, you will always regret it!!

post a link up

Sent from my iPhone

POC

Post by POC » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:32 pm

Easiest way to tell if the car has xenons is to see if it has the pop-up headlight washers in the front bumper [emoji106]

kougarman

Post by kougarman » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks everybody for your replies on my 1st post!  I have been sent a photo close up of front headlamp and it does have "pop out" washer system and the lights are also shown ON  so it looks prity certain its xenon (might not be BI xenons but that's fine)  Also, salesman sent this tech spec sheet of the 2007 car  and it confirmed xenons in "black & white".  The X5  will be arriving in about an hours time and I am dead chuffed as its in perfect condition, well spec'ed out with only 47K miles.  Wasn't cheap but quality never is.  I don't change cars very often now as I'm a pensioner, had the current Mercedes "ML" for 11 years!  Really looking forward to running and driving the X5 and this forum is great support for me!

Here's the web address brochure sheet:  http://www.autoevolution.com/_mozpdfjs/ ... cgKFVTKQ==

I have another question you X5 pro's could help me with?  "Run Flats Tyres"  I'm not a fan as they are noisy and expensive to replace,  has anybody had any experience of changing their X5 run flats back to "normal tyres"?  also. can I do a pair at a time?  I would then buy a emergency "get you home" skinny spare wheel for storage in the box under the rear boot area?  I would appreciate your thoughts.  Best wishes and thanks for the help so far. :xmasgrin:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:21 pm

Plenty of threads on here about RFTs and getting rid.  If you buy an AUC car, check whether any part of the warranty gets invalidated if you stop using RFT and/or '*' marked tyres.  It is not unusual to find your transmission and suspension parts suddenly get excluded.  Just beware.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Imy

Post by Imy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:57 pm

I wouldn't trust pop up washers as an indication as to whether or not the car has xenons. My 335i has pop up washers but no xenons.

Manse73

Post by Manse73 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:58 pm

I have pop out washers and halogen headlights

POC

Post by POC » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:45 pm

[quote="Manse73"]
I have pop out washers and halogen headlights
[/quote]

My bad, I was thinking of the E9x 3 series