Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter wheels and tyres being offered to me

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
Pinewood

Winter wheels and tyres being offered to me

Post by Pinewood » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:01 am

My current 19" staggered wheels have TPMS, and a set of winter 17" wheels that I am being offered may or may not have the sensors? ( will ring the guy tomorrow to get more information)
Those of you that run a winter set, is this a big deal?
Should I buy the sensors and fit them to the winter wheels?
If they are genuine winter wheels, will they have them anyway?
Can I just keep a regular check over the winter months myself as they come with winter runflat tyres?
Sorry for the newbie question regarding a winter setup, but until I quiz the guy selling them, I have no further information
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

Pinewood

Re: Winter wheels and tyres being offered to me

Post by Pinewood » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:25 am

Does the pre Lci F25 (2010-06/2014) use the old TMPS system of measuring the rotational diameter of the tyre, or like mine (Lci), use sensors in the wheels to give pressure readings?
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:28 pm

So the wheels are spoken for, just need to go pick them up. Then i will need to buy the oem sensors and have them coded OR buy the BMW ones which won't need coding (obv).
Either way the tyres will have to come off so they can be fitted before winter

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Picked 4 of these up with 6mm tread Sotto zeros for the princely sum of £300. The alloys are in fantastic condition.  All i need to do before October is buy 4 TPM sensors and have them mounted so the car doesn't give errors once fitted.
Does anyone know where i can source them,  or will it be a trip to the $tealership?
Last edited by Pinewood on Mon May 02, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:22 am

I have researched this topic at some length and sought advice on another forum.  For the benefit of others this is what i have learned....
1. TPMS use sensors that sit inside the tyre and are attached to the valve. It's one unit.
2. If you buy 2nd hand wheels (older) or new, factor in the cost of buying 4 sensors which retail at £40 each approx.
3. If you buy universal sensors, they will need to be coded (frequency etc).
4. BMW specific ones don't need coding.
5. They have a battery which requires replacing every 5 to 7 years.
6.running a car without the sensors, will give you puncture warnings every time.
7. Check if your car has the old system (which measures the overall diameter of the tyre), or the TPMS (gives actual pressure readings)
Last edited by Pinewood on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Pinewood,

Might pick your brains on this, I have a set of Winters which I haven't used yet.
I'm not sure if they come with the TPMS sensor, how do I check without having to swap the tyres over to see?

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Look at the valves. If they are the same length/shape/silver like the ones on our 19' wheels,  then most likely TMPS. If they are the usual black and shorter then they don't have tmps sensors

I would be very surprised if they have TMPS sensors fitted because they are so new. Remember this system was introduced on the X3 lci models.
Edit: look at the pictures above of my 17" tyres
Last edited by Pinewood on Mon May 02, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kengxx

Post by kengxx » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:32 am

Yes the TPS valves held on by nuts,on the std ones they are not there.