Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Telephone / Bluetooth ?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
philip600

Telephone / Bluetooth ?

Post by philip600 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi,
My phone is not connecting to the BT when I get in the car anymore so I tried to connect manually by the phone but it says the BMW BT not found ?
I then tried to connect a new device by holding down the button in the armrest, wait 3 seconds, turning iginiton to position 1 & after a further 3 seconds release the button but nothing happens ?
None of the 3 little lights on the OBD light up & there is no 'pairing device' showing on the screen as before.
I've connected a few phones to it before with no problems.
I've also noticed there is no telephone option on the OBD, I'm sure it was there before.
I've checked the BT fuse ( number 7 ) in the glove box.
Any ideas anyone ?
Phil.
2005 3.0d Le Mans auto - Now gone :-( but replaced with an Audi A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition 177PS :-)
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet - NOW SOLD.
1996 Lotus Esprit S4s in Mica Yellow.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Telephone / Bluetooth ?

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:58 pm

You could try the old tried and tested disconnect battery routine........ disconnect the cars battery for a few minutes, then reconnect. Sometimes this fixes electronic gremlins. Check the connection to the Bluetooth module itself (in the boot near the battery - while you're there you may as well check both!!!) and remove the plug, clean if necessary and reconnect firmly.

If that doesn't do it, some people have found trapped wires / loose plugs in the connectors for the phone unit under the cradle. Worth looking there too.

If it still doesn't work, the Bluetooth module is likely to have developed a fault and will need to be replaced........
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

philip600

Post by philip600 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Condor,

I've checked the connections of the phone holder circuit board inside the armrest & everything seems ok there.
Can anyone confirm if I should have a 'Telephone' option on the OBD and if that option has gone whether this points to a problem ?
Was thinking of trying the battery disconnect but had thought this may create other problems ?

Phil.
2005 3.0d Le Mans auto - Now gone :-( but replaced with an Audi A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition 177PS :-)

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:02 pm

[quote=""philip600""]
I've also noticed there is no telephone option on the OBD, I'm sure it was there before.
[/quote]

If you`ve got no telephone option on the OBD check the rear fuse box , fuse numbers 73 & 74
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

philip600

Post by philip600 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks x man, I've just checked those fuses & they're both ok.
Are you saying I should have telephone option showing on OBD & if so why would it disappear ?
Phil.

philip600

Post by philip600 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:28 pm

This X5 of mine has a mind of it's own :?
Further to my last post I had checked fuses 73 & 74 in the rear compartment & both were ok.
I then turned on the ignition & still no telephone option on OBD. I tried pairing new device & still nothing so I went in to order the take-away ;)
Well I've just been to collect the chinese & lo & behold the telephone option is back on the OBD along with BMW assist ( although this is no longer connected ) checked my phone & it's connected to the X5 :)
Coincidence or gremlins ??
Phil.
P.S. either that or I' going mad :roll:

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:29 pm

[quote=""philip600""]Thanks x man, I've just checked those fuses & they're both ok.
Are you saying I should have telephone option showing on OBD & if so why would it disappear ?
Phil.[/quote]

Correct , if you have telephone option fitted to your car then it will show this on your screen , as to why it disappears is usually
down to a bad fuse. If fuses are good then as mentioned above check connections on the ulf module.
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 pm

[quote=""philip600""]This X5 of mine has a mind of it's own :?
Further to my last post I had checked fuses 73 & 74 in the rear compartment & both were ok.
I then turned on the ignition & still no telephone option on OBD. I tried pairing new device & still nothing so I went in to order the take-away ;)
Well I've just been to collect the chinese & lo & behold the telephone option is back on the OBD along with BMW assist ( although this is no longer connected ) checked my phone & it's connected to the X5 :)
Phil.
P.S. either that or I' going mad :roll:[/quote]

Have to remember to go for a chinese when something plays up on mine, could be a cheap fix :D . Coincidence i`d say no but gremlins
yes our cars do have them . glad it sorted itself out.
05 X5 3.0d

philip600

Post by philip600 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:55 pm

[quote=""x man""][quote=""philip600""]This X5 of mine has a mind of it's own :?
Phil.
P.S. either that or I' going mad :roll:[/quote]

Have to remember to go for a chinese when something plays up on mine, could be a cheap fix :D . Coincidence i`d say no but gremlins
yes our cars do have them . glad it sorted itself out.[/quote]

Seemed to work for me, meal was fantastic too :)
Is it only me that's paranoid every time I go out in the X ?
It's not that it's ever broke down or gone wrong that many times but there's just so much electrical stuff in there :o
I suppose they're like home PC's, this one would not connect to the interweb this afternoon so I re-booted & all ok again.
One of these days the whole world will stop working because of our reliance on computers :o
Makes you wonder how old cars will be before they will break & be un-economical to repair, especially with all the electronics on them now, even small hatch backs have all sorts of gizmo's & eventually they will go wrong, some you could just leave but if it's an ECU or control unit for ABS etc you're knackered.
I'm off to open a bottle of wine now ;)
Thanks for the help.
Phil.

tranby

Post by tranby » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Mine pairs up fine, just doesn't work !! It rings out but cant hear anything and
the opposite end cant hear either ?

Any ideas ??