Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fake Premium Tyres???

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
sharpharp

Fake Premium Tyres???

Post by sharpharp » Wed May 11, 2016 11:07 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has bought new tyres and suspected that they weren't genuine?

Reason I ask is, I purchased a new set from a seller (supposedly a legit tyre place) on ebay.

The front tyres arrived yesterday - Pirelli P Zero * 245/45R19 Runflats. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the writing on the sides was not as prominent as the same ones on my current ones on the car.

The tyre itself looks ok, tread pattern the same etc etc, it's just the writing on the tyres is kind of flat. The writing on my set on the car, even after doing 28K+ still looks better than these new ones.

Maybe it's just the way there are manufactured by Pirelli now, but it's the same tyre as I have... Perhaps I'm just being a bit paranoid here  ::) The seller did tell me he orders the tyres from Germany.

I will post up some pics when I get a chance, but just wanted to see if anyone else has come across this?

chubbs

Re: Fake Premium Tyres???

Post by chubbs » Wed May 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Have you checked the sticky paper label to see if there are any spelling mistakes, or other clues? Fakers have been known to get small details wrong.

It's true that fakes exist. Michelin had problems a few years ago with fake truck tyres.

As an aside, I reckon Lewis Hamilton might have been happier on fakes during the British Grand Prix a couple of years ago, when his 'Premium Pirelli' disintegrated on the way down to Woodcote/Luffield. Maybe it was a fake?  :o

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Wed May 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks Chubbs,

Do you mean the sticker on the tyres which has the Wet/Dry Handling Rating on it?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Probably.  All tyres should come with them stuck on.  Might be worth taking one to a tyre place and just getting them to have a look.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Insight G40

Post by Insight G40 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:13 pm

The criminals who make forgeries often make mistakes with spelling and often the font used in lettering, so I'd say there is a good possibility that they might not be authentic if the lettering on the sidewall is that different.

Part of my work involves the detection of fraudulent passports and ID docs, and you wouldn't believe some of the errors that criminals make, either through ignorance or just not really caring as long as passes a casual inspection.
E53 Sept 2006 3.0D Sport

chubbs

Post by chubbs » Thu May 12, 2016 8:37 am

It might be an idea to get in touch with Pirelli?

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Fri May 13, 2016 2:45 pm

O:-) Already been in touch with Pirelli and they've asked for pics and other info of the tyres.
Will let you all know the outcome

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Mon May 16, 2016 2:05 pm

Pirelli were on the ball and got back quickly.

They say that they are genuine. The Pirellis on my car were are now Obsolete (the sidewall writing is embossed), whereas the new Pirellis use a different sidewall template and have sunken writing.

Hope this helps if anyone else has doubts when buying Pirellis.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Very useful, and glad they are legit.  Thanks for sharing that tip.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks for sharing :)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.