Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Used classified prices on diesel models significantly dropping

General car related chat
AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Used classified prices on diesel models significantly dropping

Post by AW8 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:41 pm

I keep an eye on classified prices.

During the 6 months to April 2017 used prices on diesel models under 10 years old seemed pretty static.

It is quite usual for prices to firm in winter months as demand historically keeps prices steadier.

Usually after Easter there are better deals to be had on used 4x4's, however, looking at E70 models on Autotrader it seems used trade & private prices have dropped significantly. By rough estimate I reckon 10-15 % maybe more just in last 6 weeks. F25 X3 prices seem to have moved similarly.

2010 40d models dipping below 20k & 2008 twin turbo models closer to 10k than 15k.

Plenty of possible reasons....increased trade sock on back of recent p/x deals done before the new VED hike on cars over £40k, VW diesel emissions scandal , concerns re nitrogen levels, election on horizon, clean air plan, folk getting rid in fear of  tax hikes or merely keen to jump & in fear of negative finance equity.......Either way it seems more a buyers market than the sometimes greedy sellers marketplace a few months ago.

Not suggesting this is a 4x4 or brand/ marque trend.

Someone I know in trade  indicated that allegedly GFV figures for some new diesel models of another leading brand had recently been revised downwards .....I have no idea as to the accuracy of the alleged comments but my source has never given me cause to doubt prior shared info.
Last edited by AW8 on Sun May 21, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

IanP

Re: Used classified prices on diesel models significantly dropping

Post by IanP » Mon May 22, 2017 7:42 am

Was in a BMW main dealer looking for my wifes next car, and the salesman commented that diesel inquiries had dropped right off over the last few weeks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 am

It seems to be a 'Buyer's Market' in all sorts of areas at present, and certainly where big ticket items are involved.

There just isn't the spare cash about with incomes falling behind inflation so more and more of us don't have the buying power.  Most of what you have alluded too above is going to be relevant I feel.

For diesel vehicles, those approved to anything below EU6 face uncertainty and are to be part of the scrappage scheme - if the Press are to be believed - as well as to be hit by the clean air charges.

I can also see the checks on DPFs etc being tightened and those found to have removed them taken off the road immediately.  Those cars are illegal now so exactly what real impact it has is hard to tell.

Some manufacturers are going to have to change their models line-up as many only offer diesel variants in particular models.  Going to petrol will increase my commuting costs considerably so electric seems to be my only choice, though batteries lose 10% of their charge capacity per year meaning another longer term issue coming there too.
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon May 22, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Colin

Post by Colin » Mon May 22, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks Guys    some useful info to take on board
05 , 30d Le Mans Blue Sport

Denis O

Post by Denis O » Mon May 22, 2017 11:09 am

Previous governments eulogised about diesel and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Now governments are demonising diesel and the effect is a significant slowing of sales which will only get worse as time moves on.

Glad I got out a couple of years ago when diesel pricing was still firm. Mind you, a 4.2 supercharged engine uses a lot of petrol although hopefully, not enough to offset the depreciation I would have suffered on a diesel.
06 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC
05 Mercedes SL350

Imy

Post by Imy » Mon May 22, 2017 12:47 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
It seems to be a 'Buyer's Market' in all sorts of areas at present, and certainly where big ticket items are involved.

There just isn't the spare cash about with incomes falling behind inflation so more and more of us don't have the buying power.  Most of what you have alluded too above is going to be relevant I feel.

For diesel vehicles, those approved to anything below EU6 face uncertainty and are to be part of the scrappage scheme - if the Press are to be believed - as well as to be hit by the clean air charges.

I can also see the checks on DPFs etc being tightened and those found to have removed them taken off the road immediately.  Those cars are illegal now so exactly what real impact it has is hard to tell.

Some manufacturers are going to have to change their models line-up as many only offer diesel variants in particular models.  Going to petrol will increase my commuting costs considerably so electric seems to be my only choice, though batteries lose 10% of their charge capacity per year meaning another longer term issue coming there too.
[/quote]

Battery loss over a yr of 10%? Seems a little high... I didnt notice that big of a loss on my leaf over the 2yrs and I think Tesla batteries are even better.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Even Tesla quote 10% reduction in storage capacity. 

This is normal for any Lithium Technology cell.  You may not notice it initially but it does happen.  Rechargeable batteries lose part of their capacity every time you recharge them.  It just how the chemistry and laws of physics are.

It is something the industry is working very hard to overcome, and why range is improving with each new generation.  Some manufacturers lease you the battery making replacement cheaper, others sell you the whole thing and walk away at the end of the warranty.

Your maximum range in year 2 will have been less than in year 1 - even if only by no more than a couple of miles - and that trend will continue inexorably.

Imy

Post by Imy » Mon May 22, 2017 3:04 pm

why would the reduction be attributed to yrs rather than mileage and charges?

data is a few yrs old so possibly would expect better results on newer models? 

http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads ... range2.png

Not saying your wrong at all, just find it extremely concerning if a 10% battery loss per annum is acceptable seeing as how much replacements cost and Tesla's batter warranty does not cover degradation through useage.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 22, 2017 4:52 pm

It is, but all I have seen is based on an average user - whatever one of those actually is.  Less charges/annual mileage will extend the time, and we all drive differently after all  :)

Batteries are a wear and tear item so why would they be warranty covered except for a failure?  If the manufacturer states performance will decay then they're covered against claims.  Conventionally powered vehicles batteries generally are a wear and tear item too unless they fail under warranty and even then it can be a struggle to get them replaced  >:(.

Personally I would never buy a used electric car because of the cost of a new battery pack.  A couple of colleagues have the big Teslas and they were made aware of the battery limitations when they bought them from the local Dealer.  It sparked long conversations with the Engineers on site about the economics of long term electric car ownership.  The consensus seemed to be to keep one until the warranty ran out and then change it for a new one, particularly if using the full range/charge regularly and frequently such as when commuting.

I almost bought a Leaf a couple of years back but it didn't quite have the range to get me to work and back every day.  The new version will but will still need a full charge every night.  That is the real battery life killer.

Someday a boffin will work it all out and get the right battery recipe and problem solved  :)
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.