Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

This week's upgrades and progress..

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
bascule

This week's upgrades and progress..

Post by bascule » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Got some nice jobs done this week! Have only had her a few weeks, and she's proving to be superb.

3.0D manual, remapped to around 238, only 83k, 1 owner from new until 3 weeks back, FSH, widescreen nav, dual climate, Webasto (with genuine webasto remote activation), HIDs, etc etc.

So, this week:

- Dashcam installed, with permanent supply using switched feed from within headlining, so no unsightly cabling about the place, and fully automatic operation.

-  AUX input cable installed (genuine bmw one, was an absolute doddle to fit, is now hidden in centre console ashtray so can be used as required.  Will be replaced by full parrot kit in due course, but I need a day to do that and won't have it for a few weeks)

-  SatNav firmware upgraded to v32, and 2017 map disc installed. (Also found the hidden menu and enabled 3D perspective view on the satnav - much better!)

-  Front sidelights replaced with LED ones - perfect match for the HIDS and look great. No warnings either. I picked up a spare set just in case!

-  2hrs of T-cut and polish dealt with a few little blemishes and also where it was keyed in the first week of ownership (buggers!!)

-  Rear wiper replaced with an E70 arm and blade (the spring had gone on the old one) and new front wipers fitted.

- Small repair to inner light in upper tailgate where the plastic clip was broken - VHB tape is marvellous.

Next steps:

Repair: She's going in on Thursday to have a rear lower control arm replaced, as it's got some play in it. (Not sure yet of the cost!) and have an early MOT put on - its not due yet, I just want the peace of mind and a thorough check over.

Towing: Shes going in the following day to have a second socket put on for towing the caravan, currently only has single electrics.

Hands free: I have a parrot 9200 I pulled out of my Audi - I've now received the proper bmw lead for this, and the 5m extension cable for the loom to run through to the boot - need to double check I have everything before attempting this!

Phone Bracket - I'd like a nice holder for the mobile - so many of them are utter plakky rubbish, any recommendations appreciated.

Mats - I want to replace the horrible chunky rubber mats, with QUALITY carpet ones.

Dead pixels - the Satnav is perfect, but the panel under the speedo has some dead pixels - need to look into whats involved to fix these!

Alloys refurbishing - theyre not scabby at all but are starting to lose the lacquer - would really like to get these back to looking all nice and shiny all over.

Investigate LED upgrades for the main beam.  The HIDs for dip are simply superb, but the mains don't really add much at all.

Find some paint to repair a little patch where the matt black paint on the trim round the window has peeled - its only a little bit, but unsightly.  Again, all suggestions welcome!

Watch this space!  What have you done to yours?
Last edited by bascule on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: This week's upgrade's and progress..

Post by AW8 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Good update. Seems you are making some sensible choices & in good time.

Maybe look at hoen xenonmatch. Whether you choose their bulbs or not you may get a better idea re matching your dipped beams.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

bascule

Post by bascule » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am

So - This week:

- She has a nice shiny new MOT :)

- New Mats arrived to replace the worn & chunky rubber things

- I've carefully polished out a light 'keying' that went all the way along front wing and passenger door.. looks perfect now...

I'm just making sure I have everything ready for the next job:

Any tips on routing that 5m extension cable down to the boot would be appreciated!!

I shall document the parrot install as I go :)

extremezmachine

Post by extremezmachine » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:14 am

I am doing restoration to my x5 as well... Keep it up!

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: This week's upgrades and progress..

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Re the dash cam.
What wire did you pick up from in the roof.
I have just fitted one but only found a permanent live from the big plug in there.

bascule

Post by bascule » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi Alan - it's dead easy.

In the centre roof electrics, I also only found permanent live.  BUT - if you pop out the courtesy lamp from above the driver side sunvisor, that's fed from a switched 12v, and the visor switch completes the circuit to earth for the lamp. 
So, I took the feed from the live side of the lamp connections (you don't want the feed affected by whether the lamp is on or not, just pop the bulb itself out, have the ignition on, its easy to find which side is the live), added an inline fuse and it's dead easy to run a short cable across from there to the centre panel, which is where my 12v to 5v electrics and cable are tucked away.

hope that helps!

Ben

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks Ben.
Didn't think of that but you would think there would be one on the plugs where the sun roof switch goes.(not got the sun roof but got all the plugs)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:55 pm

I routed my 5m cable down the near side and buried it under the sill trims and below the carpet.  I took the glovebox out and routed past that and into the area behind the passenger footwell trim and then under the carpets etc.  Getting it under the seat was a fiddle but from there into the boot and following the BMW cable runs.  I can't remember if I used the BMW existing loops or mini cable ties to hold it to the car loom.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

bascule

Post by bascule » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:31 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
I routed my 5m cable down the near side and buried it under the sill trims and below the carpet.  I took the glovebox out and routed past that and into the area behind the passenger footwell trim and then under the carpets etc.  Getting it under the seat was a fiddle but from there into the boot and following the BMW cable runs.  I can't remember if I used the BMW existing loops or mini cable ties to hold it to the car loom.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, that's really useful!

Is it not long enough to run round the edge rather than go under the seat? Or is it one of times when a 5m extension cable just isn't enough?!

I'm assuming you have the blue controller simply in that cavernous space behind the dash.. I had a few minutes earlier so I've sited the display unit and remote controller, and installed the double microphone thingy on the central overhead and run the cables down behind the A pillar ready.  It's dead easy to get behind the stereo for that bit.. the big job is clearly going to be that fat cable run to the battery compartment though..

Hope to get to it this weekend weather permitting..

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:11 pm

I meant past the hinges at the side rather than under the seat, sorry could have been clearer.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

bascule

Post by bascule » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Ah!

Well Ive just spent the last couple of hours out there, and it's all done and in place, well pleased.

I'll put some pics up in a howto thread!

Thanks all

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:06 pm

[quote="bascule"]
So - This week:

- She has a nice shiny new MOT :)

- New Mats arrived to replace the worn & chunky rubber things

- I've carefully polished out a light 'keying' that went all the way along front wing and passenger door.. looks perfect now...

I'm just making sure I have everything ready for the next job:

Any tips on routing that 5m extension cable down to the boot would be appreciated!!

I shall document the parrot install as I go :)
[/quote]
Great job on the detailing, the E53 is a fantastic car for its age, that paintwork has come up as good as the day it left the factory.
Goes to show if your patient, ( I'm not, but I do t polish my cars
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

bascule

Post by bascule » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Well the parrot is all in and working beautifully!

Nice to have the voice dialling hands free, and the USB and aux audio source control too.  I have the controller where my daughter can also easily control music choices etc from the passenger seat..

Lots to do while installing, as half the car electronics are in the boot

For anyone interested, I've posted a 'How to' thread here:  http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... 631.0.html

Ben

bascule

Post by bascule » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:33 am

Not much done this weekend tbh.  A little attention to some marks where the rubber trim of the upper tailgate was leaving a black mark on the paint of the lower half. 

Got some quotes for having the wheels refurbished..  yeah, that won't be happening any time soon!

Did a nice run out to the New Forest this morning with the dog and the ex gf and her kids, then a carvery and a run down to Christchurch in the afternoon for the music festival by the river.  Good day.

Took some pics of shiny car  :)

Only really thought about it today, this is my first non-leather car in a VERY long time..  and I love it!  Hot day, cold day, cloth is really nice - didn't expect to like it, and of course it will mark easier if I'm not careful - but tbh, it's a 14 yr old car and look how great it still looks, I reckon that's pretty good cloth...  Last few cars have been all black leather interiors, and its refreshing to be away from the gloom!

Not gonna go with tints either.  It's got a lovely light and open feel driving this :)

Hope you all had a good weekend!
Ben

bascule

Post by bascule » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:49 pm

So this week.  I've been doing the trawl of local garages, to get quotes to get the two items flagged as advisories when it was MOT time last month.  ( front outer bush/arm both sides, and rear driveshaft diff seals)
Best price so far is still nearly £600 for the lot.  Worst was from the local bmw indy, who quoted £850+ as a best case.  Watch this space on that one - I plan to get it done next week, and may be travelling 80m to a guy I trust.

Bad sh*t - the local scrotes who take pleasure in keying the cars (my last was done several times, this one only once so far) have learned a new trick, and we've all been checking under our cars each day for nails now.

Didn't work today, got to work and spotted one right in the middle of the tread. Argh. Topped up the air and went to my local tyre place tonight to get repaired - nope, TWO nails, about 8 inches apart, right in the middle of the tread.  Bloody Michelins, too.

I'm a pacifist by nature, but I'm starting to lose that.  >:(

Here: 

Buggers.  Incident number obtained, for what it's worth. (4% of not a lot, I suspect)

In better news, front discs look fine!

so anyway, I've ordered a second dashcam.  I've got a 412gw at the moment, which also does motion detection at night.  I've ordered a 512gw from amazon tonight, will put that at the front, and the 412 at the rear.  The front is already hardwired in, I'll do the same for the rear and enable motion detection on both.  (I have no drive, and no choice but to park on the road)

Will document the hardwire install at the back.

Hope you're having better weeks!