Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie buying an x5

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Silverfox58

Newbie buying an x5

Post by Silverfox58 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:49 am

Hi all this is my first post so be gentle with me :)
I'm currently running a grand Cherokee 27crd auto overland auto  and I'm looking  at getting a x5,
I have about 5.5k to spend  but all the ones I've seen have over 100k , so my question is does it matter how many  miles it's done as long as it's been fully served.
Your thoughts and advice please.
X5 30d

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Newbie buying an x5

Post by Smeeagain » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Welcome. You've posted in the problems section but you don't have any problems .....yet! Have you looked at the buying guide on the General E53 page?

Smee

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:36 pm

[quote="Silverfox58"]
I'm currently running a grand Cherokee 27crd auto overland auto  and I'm looking  at getting a x5,
I have about 5.5k to spend  but all the ones I've seen have over 100k , so my question is does it matter how many  miles it's done as long as it's been fully served.
[/quote]
Hi and welcome to the forum.
As most E53's are at best 11 years old it's to be expected that they have covered a good few miles.
Well cared for ones can still drive like new at 100 K, so,e are absolute dogs.
Service history is a must, doesn't have to be BMW dealer history, at least you can see the oil has been changed, but that's about as far as a service history goes.
Take your time and walk away from the rough ones. For your money a tidy 55 plate is possible ( car tax went to £500 from march 2006.)

http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... 489.0.html
Last edited by Horizon on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

RossC

Post by RossC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:33 pm

[quote="Horizon"]Take your time and walk away from the rough ones. For your money a tidy 55 plate is possible ( car tax went to £500 from march 2006.[/quote]

This is great advice for the sake of a few months between some car ages, but it's worth noting the date it jumped to the higher band was the 23rd of March.  My X5 is a March car, an '06' plate, but registered before the 23rd, so happily remaining at the £305 level.  I'm willing to bet there are plenty of March 2006's registered on the 1st or thereabouts, so don't dismiss them all :)

A tidy 06 plate would be difficult to find at your budget right enough, but it remains worthwhile doing an online MOT check with the numberplate details and it will reveal the first registered date, along with all the previous failures making interesting reading.

Agreed on walking from the rough ones though. There are so many dogs out there, and strong money still being asked.
2006 E53 X5 3.0i Sport

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:37 pm

[quote="Silverfox58"]
[/quote]

I think you have to think beyond servicing. for example aa service will look at light bulbs and oil and so on, but how many services will check the condition of the rear lower rose bush (which can cause excessive camber) and so on. Service evidence is must but more important, in my book, is evidence of regular maintenance.
And yes you should walk away from the rough ones, as there are plenty of vehicles available, but the better the car you find the more it will cost. Please please please be aware that there were £50k+ cars in their day. None of us have endless pots f money bt be aware that these cars are not often cheap to repair. For example, north of 100k miles you may need a gearbox rebuild, and yet you may not (but will eventually) - that wills et you back £1600 minimum without even thinking about it

I would say make yourself a cuppa and sit down and red as many pages of this for as you can. After a couple of hours (yes that much) you will have a fear idea of the regular problems that can occur. i say that not to put you off but to encourage you to get under the skin of an X5 and understand what they are about. In not time you will learn that if you don't replace the battery after 6 years (especially if you don't know when the existing one was bought) then it will undoubtedly lead to other electrical gremlins showing up as false positives. Etc etc etc

I think when you buy a second hand car, you have to budget for further immediate cost to cover off a few things as piece of mind. if I was doing this over again, I'd immediately stick in anew battery £100 or so (the forum will tell you the right spec) and I'd get an oil and oil filter change lets say £50 or so (uses almost 8 litres oil - don't buy cheap here ). Read up on gearbox oil changes and then decide for yourself if that should or should not be done (another couple of hundred quid or more there) - Get the tracking done, saves wearing out £500 or more quids worth of tyres, all the prices ar for rough illustration and may be slightly more/less than Ive said. my point is you may wish/need to spend another £500 to be on the road with piece of mind. and those jobs are just my opinion. You may need none of that but better to go in eyes wide open.

If you already have a cherokee then you have an idea in principle as to what these big beasts are about
Good luck

Smee

Silverfox58

Post by Silverfox58 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks  all for your replies I will read a lot and gave a good look around before  I buy one , thanks again  for your advice,
I'm  so glad  I joined this forum  :)
X5 30d

marinaman

Post by marinaman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Have a look on You tube as well, there are loads of reviews, repair videos on there, got ours in March after cashing in a private pension. 144,000 with one owner and history.  i was lucky and only looked at one other.

You soon know when driving if its the one to buy. listen very carefully as you let foot of the brake as you set off. really gentle and as on ours there was a little knock as you tapped the brake on and off bit like kangeroo juice.
i just got a kit from ebay, whole front joints set £129 for both sides,  real bargain from Germany, theres that many joints under there its a sod to know which is faulty and at high miles made sense to replace all.
After all the joints were off there was still no idication of which was worn but the knock was cured.

Since then all i had was slow air loss from rear tyres,  bloke at garage has run these cars since new and  said its very common on them. :camera:
Get a code reader as well, the cable and v140 from Ebay works very well in my use anyway.
I also put on a new Bosch battery. Got caught last week.  when using the code reader test programme it will flatten the battery in a very very short time. keep your old battery as i do, charged in the shed.

The diesel if you buy is a great car, best ive ever had in 30 years of driving, even at 12yr old its still better than newer cars ive had, so refined and remarkable fast.
These chaps on here are great for advice on anything.
B&B by the sea in sunny Bridlington, best rates for members  :) www.themarina-bridlington.com

Silverfox58

Post by Silverfox58 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:05 pm

That's great I'm  parity good with a spanner so nothing bothers me to much , I've just changed  the transfer box and oil and filter ony auto keep ,

Thanks for your advice  and I'm on the look out now will pistva picture or 2 once I get one
X5 30d