Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Map upgrade

General car related chat
Pinewood

Map upgrade

Post by Pinewood » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:55 pm

My 64 plate X3 has never had a map update and yesterday I bought the map updates from BMW.
Having never done this before, can someone point me in the right direction.

What size and make of USB drive is required?
Can I go from 2014 straight up to 2018 maps or have to step up?
How long does the update take and what happens if my journey isn’t that long or the update gets disturbed? (Thinking firmware that can brick a device)
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

threeshoes

Re: Map upgrade

Post by threeshoes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:40 pm

I've just had this advice from BMW:

Please ensure when performing the update that all of the following criteria is being met:

• You’re using a 64GB USB stick which has been formatted to FAT32.
• The Map update is saved onto the drive itself and not within a sub folder - Saving in a sub folder could be causing a problem.
• The memory stick is free of any data on it which could interfere with the vehicle being able to read it.

Then follow the following the steps below:

1. Firstly, log onto your ConnectedDrive portal, then click onto remote cockpit, then control.
2. If you scroll down below email set up account you should be able to see manual map update.
3. When you click this it should redirect you to a page, which should display the download for BMW update manager as well as a code.
4. Download the BMW update manager, this will then be stored on your hard drive. Then enter the code.
5. Once the update is complete, right click and open the map update with BMW update manager.
6. You can then put the map update onto a 64GB memory stick (format FAT 32).
Please view the size of the map update when downloading, and see which size will be most sufficient to fit the whole file onto.
7. You can then plug the USB into your vehicle where the update will begin.

I've managed to update my map but there is much less detail than before (2016-2 version).  I'm hoping that it just needs time to build the whole database or I'm going for a refund.

Chris
F25 X3 xDrive20d xLine, Navigation Professional, Pan roof, Deep Sea Blue and black dakota leather, adaptive LED headlights, reversing camera etc . . .

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Why would there be less detail?
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

threeshoes

Post by threeshoes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:44 pm

I don't know.  It's rather irritating as my home is on small roads that don't appear on the updated system.

Chris
F25 X3 xDrive20d xLine, Navigation Professional, Pan roof, Deep Sea Blue and black dakota leather, adaptive LED headlights, reversing camera etc . . .

IanP

Post by IanP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:56 am

I updated my map, and was surprised to find garages in the data base that I knew had been closed for at least 20 years....

threeshoes

Post by threeshoes » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:35 pm

That doesn't bode well for accurate depiction of roads.

I've found my problem: I loaded the wrong map on to my USB stick.  The first stick didn't work, for some reason, so I tried again with a different stick and with a different map, not noticing the East instead of the West.

I'm doing it all again . . .

threeshoes

Post by threeshoes » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:36 pm

[quote="Pinewood"]
Why would there be less detail?
[/quote]

By the way, just in case you care, the Latin name for London was "Londinium" :-)

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:34 pm

Ha ha yes I was aware ;-)

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:58 am

Update: the map download took 5 hours on my 15Mb/s broadband slowband. Transferred it to a 64Mb USB stick using the BMW update manager software and plugged it into the centre console USB port. The iDrive picked that up and asked if I wanted to upgrade, followed by asking for the map licence.
Took a while as my journeys were about 20 mins each, but restarted seamlessly. Once copied across it updated successfully.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

threeshoes

Post by threeshoes » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:25 am

It's a pretty good system, although I managed to fit my upgrade on a 16Gb stick.

Have you noticed any differences since your upgrade?

Chris

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:16 pm

sorry for the delay, haven't been using the car and navigation much after the upgrade. I have found the system is slower than before, and it takes longer to figure out the route. Most annoying is the first few directions by voice , come after I have passed that junction/roundabout according to the map and the actual position of the vehicle.
I'm going to download and install the maps again

BMW DOWNLOAD MANAGER tells me I need
Road Map Europe Next 2018-1 for X3 30D "my_vin_number"

threeshoes

Post by threeshoes » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Yes, the system takes a little while to work out routes, but is pretty swift once in operation.  I don't use the voice commands, only the visual directions.