Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone in Derby/Notts area with 20” wheels? - Need a favour.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Digidick

Anyone in Derby/Notts area with 20” wheels? - Need a favour.

Post by Digidick » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:43 am

Looking for a kind soul that would let me fit their own front wheels to my E70 to see if the 70-80mph wobble I’m trying to solve is down to my wheels or wheel.

I’ll turn up with tools/jack and do all the changing over, take mine for a spin then refit yours. I’ll probably do it one wheel at a time to see if it’s down to a single wheel.

Background info - I’ve changed control arm bushes which has firmed everything up but since then I’ve had a wobble. Tyres have also been changed and full alignment done so now I’m thinking wheels. Road Force balance is on the cards but nearest place is over an hour away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Digidick on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulrog

Re: Anyone in Derby/Notts area with 20” wheels? - Need a favour.

Post by paulrog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 am

I live in Grantham, and I have the 20' staggered wheels. on my  2010 4.0D LCI.
I'm currently working away, back home in around 2 weeks.
I've got a long drive so no problem with space. Plus the A1 motorway is just down the road to get you to 80mph.
Let me know if your interested?
Last edited by paulrog on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks buddy that sounds great. I'll continue to look into it but please let me know when you're home and we'll sort something out if I'm still wobbling.

I also have a 2010 40d LCI, sounds like we have the same car so perfect. Mine will also be remapped by the time we meet up so you can give it a blast, see what you think.

S3RYK

Post by S3RYK » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 pm

I'm in Burton, but currently away on hols, back in 3 weeks, I have a 2012 40d with 20s, let me know if you still need help when I'm back, good luck in the meantime.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:15 pm

What is it with people away, I need you all now!!!  Lol!

Burton is perfect as I’m in Duffield, Derby.

Please get in touch when home and I’ll update on here with any progress.

Cheers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:57 pm

I had a very slight vibration on my X6 at similar speeds and it turned out to be a slightly warped disc caused by an occasionally slightly sticking calliper. Changed discs (and the iffy calliper) and all is well again.  The warp was probably only a couple of thou but that’s all it took.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

RChaloner

Post by RChaloner » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Just in case there's any confusion between control arms and thrust arms, were the bushes you did on the arm pointing forward (at an angle inward) or the one going sideways to the chassis?

My car (albeit old E53) gets severe 'brake' judder if the thrust arm front bushes (the forward-facing ones) are even remotely tired, and no where near visible play / movement or cracking.

Oddly, wheel balance has also played a significant role. I guess the imbalance helps to set up an oscillation fore & aft against the bush play.

A friends Chrysler 300 just had the same thing (and almost identical suspension design) with no detectable play or degradation in the forward thrust bushes, yet on the road under braking his front wheels visibly oscillated to & fro by a number of centimetres!

For me the real 'tell' is if the 'brake' judder is intermittent or dependent on a very specific speed, as that's not consistent with any mechanical disk warp, which should show up at a variety of speeds and all the time.
2005 (05) E53 X5 3.0D Sport 6 speed manual
2001 (X)  E46 330D SE Touring manual
1996 (?)  E39 523i SE Saloon

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:54 pm

I don’t have any brake judder, not an ounce.

Mines all whilst driving at motorway speeds and I also get a nasty jolt on the steering wheel when going 40+ and hitting a bump in the road.

This all started when I changed my worn OEM thrust arm (forward facing) bushes for the Meyle Heavy Duty ones. I’ve since had new Tyres (needed some anyway), new complete control arms (sideways ones), balanced wheels twice and a full alignment.

Reading on the net I keep finding Audi & BMW drivers switching back to OEM bushes because Meyle and Powerflex are too harsh, resulting in handling issues and a wobble.

Before I’ll get chance to try someone’s wheels/tyres my Meyle bushes are going in the bin and OEM style ones are going in, worth a go for £50 and an hour of my time.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:12 pm

I had no brake judder either and the vibration was there for more than a year, until the caliper actually failed so the suspicion was that it was dragging just a little and generated a tiny warp.  You may not have the same but bear it in mind just in case  :)

I actually thought it was a wheel slightly off balance, or perhaps a tyre issue but then the Calliper stuck just slightly.
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Cheers I’ll try and take a closer look but I have equal brake dust deposits and both discs are what seem to be equal temp when stopped after a run. I actually have one of those point and shoot thermometers so might try that on each wheel and disc.

But!! This all started straight away (first drive out) after fitting the harder bushes but probably means something else is now worn but not sure what????

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:57 am

New bushes on and still got the issue but on the plus side I like the feel of OEM bushes.

My winter tyres (18" balloons non runflat) seem fine so I'm thinking wheels or tyres now although all this started after the bush change.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:58 am

S3RYK I've sent you a PM about borrowing your wheels  8)

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Your suspension arms were tightened with the vehicle on the ground and not whilst on a lift or jack.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Yeah all done correctly.

Digidick

Post by Digidick » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:26 am

[quote="S3RYK"]
I'm in Burton, but currently away on hols, back in 3 weeks, I have a 2012 40d with 20s, let me know if you still need help when I'm back, good luck in the meantime.
[/quote]

Another PM sent buddy with a bit more info.