Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Identification of Plug Needed

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
shy7g

Post by shy7g » Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:34 pm

Hi all, starter for 10...... lol
After repair to base of the O/S rear boot floor back well I cannot locate the adjacent plug to fit the one shown in the photo, yeah should of taken a photo or two, but we all have to live and learn, or my case live, learn, totally forget (very bad memory). :headbang: :headbang: :censored: :censored: , any ideas what this plug is for or if it is just a spare plug in the loom?
I know one of you will know, and when you read this, you'll know it is you....... :-o :-o :-o
Plug ID.jpg
Plug ID.jpg (126.94 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
thanks to all who reply..
And yes that is the air compressor in the background, relocated due to rather large LPG tank in it's place...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:03 pm

It might be one of two connectors that would be used if you had adjustable rear seats fitted. If it is, there should be a matching one on the other side of the back seat. E53s were built with complete looms (unlike all subsequent models) which made adding options a breeze.

There might be a thread about it on here from about 15 years ago. I’m pretty sure that this has come up before, if my ancient memory is still good!

They connected to two switches, one each side of the rear seat in range of the passengers, and one each side just inside the tailgate so you could adjust the seat rake to increase boot space.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:12 pm

x5sport wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:03 pm it might be one of two connectors that would be used if you had adjustable rear seats fitted. if it is, there should be a matching one on the other side of the back seat. e53s were built with complete looms (unlike all subsequent models) which made adding options a breeze.

there might be a thread about it on here from about 15 years ago. i’m pretty sure that this has come up before, if my ancient memory is still good!

they connected to two switches, one each side of the rear seat in range of the passengers, and one each side just inside the tailgate so you could adjust the seat rake to increase boot space.
Cheers, haven't got elec rear seats, so make sense.
Here's another one for you
I found this part in the boot after removing all the tools after working on my X5, it has the following number 495 753, comes up as a trunk switch on a foreign web page, with part number 83 30 0 495 753, but not found or listed on oem catalog or uk bmw parts supplies. All I'd like to know where should it be located/ positioned on the vehicle??
20240816_154934.jpg
20240816_154934.jpg (153.22 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
20240816_155045.jpg
20240816_155045.jpg (64.01 KiB) Viewed 1670 times

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:08 pm

Tried two different AI based image matching systems and no success. It was a long shot anyway, but worth a try. I’ve never seen a part in a BMW without a complete number (7 or 11 digits) so I’m not certain this isn’t a component of a sub-assembly and that assembly would have a part number.

I’ve tried various database searches and nothing comes back with a BMW hit. Or at least nothing that makes any sense - it’s an inner panel for certain BMWs, but that doesn’t look like an inner panel!

There don’t appear to be any fixing points either. What’s at the other end from the part number?

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:30 pm

No probs many thanks for having a look about for me, I found the part in the side cubby-hole so I think it was surplus to requirements.
Going to get the old girl mot'd next week, I've had her 12yrs now and she's done 96500-ish , and now in a deelemer what to do with her, I don't know whether to get her gone or spend some decent money on her and give her a new coat of paint all over, done properly as it's the paint work that's very poor on her, no rot or rust, just the problem of the paint chipping off around the tailgate opening, front of the roof above the windscreen, apparently it's a problem when BM was trying out different paint ideas, maybe from conventional paint over to water base paint in the early 2000's, well that what U was told many moons ago.
What's your thoughts??
It's funny how some old BM's are worth a whole lot of money and others are two for a pound, you know what I mean
Cheers once again
Rich

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:37 pm

Yeah, it’s a hard call. I’m starting to wonder what to do with the X6 that I’ve had since new in 2010. 90% of my journeys are now in the i4, but we still need a car that can get to the outlaws (300 miles away in west Wales) and has the load capacity for a family plus luggage. She’s been outside for all her life and the paint needs polishing.

It’s not something I’ve ever tried, and getting it wrong can be expensive! I’m not going to spend silly money on a ‘proper’ polisher that I’ll likely only use once or twice. Buying a cheap one is likely to result in me ruining something.

Water based paints (well the gloss coat on top) are a pain!

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:56 pm

I only do about 100- miles or so in her a year, and even left her parked up the last 12-month, but she's very comfortable, fun to drive with that 4.6 m62 engine, and if I were to get rid, I'll easily have to put my hand in my pocket for +25k just for it to be another, as my wife keeps telling me "Just another expensive garden ornament, just sitting there".
It's only £252 for 12-months insurance, know the car inside out and spending say £6k on fully painting her up, wheel and caliper returns it a good investment and a lot cheaper. In this last 12 month I've done all the brake lines, new parts where needed, new calipers, brembo discs, pads and shoes all around also. Interior is mint, just like to get both front seats refurb'd also.
At the moment I'm in a deelemer to spend on the x5 or new bigger garage for mire toys???? , then get the car painted after ??????

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:06 pm

My 4.6is is on 176k and runs well. 2002 paint is pretty good, the number of times I’ve thought "I should sell this" but I just like it and do very little miles these days. It’s surprisingly cheap to insure although the insurance company rates it as worth £1050 so any bump or claim will definitely be a trip to the scrap yard.
Depending on the condition of seats now a days with an older vehicle it’s worth looking for used seats in good condition which can be substantially cheaper than repair. I have just bent a door on the vw on a brick wall as it rolled of some blocks unfortunately my fingers were between the door and wall my point being a quote for £286 plus vat to repair and paint. I bought a door for £20 cleaned and polished, you just can’t tell it’s not the original door.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:07 am

How are your fingers though?