Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sunglasses Holder Retrofit

How-To articles ONLY go here.
X MAN

Sunglasses Holder Retrofit

Post by X MAN » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:47 am

Thought i`d start the new year with a how to .

This has been sitting in my notepad for a few months now, just got round to finishing it tonight ,i did this retrofit last summer and
thought I`d share.

Please note my car does not have a sunroof. As far as i`m aware this will not work for X5`s with pan sunroofs although
i`m sure we`ll all agree we would all love to have a pan roof with all it`s problems over a sunglasses holder.
Headlining covers were bought specific to my car, however your car may have different colour interior
and or options in which case part numbers will be different to ones listed below.
Allow yourself about about 1 hour that includes first time messing about.

1,Tools required

Flat head screw driver
Torx T10
Soldering iron
Solder
Heat shrink
Insulating tape (not pictured)

2,parts needed

a) 65.75.8.379.941 ultra sonic module (alarm motion sensor)-----£ ? Ebay
b) 51.44.8.258.046 headlining cover (rear) black--------------------£35.00 BMW
c) 51.44.8.258.062 headlining cover (front) black-------------------£25.00 Ebay
d) 61.13.0.005.197 bushing contact x4-------------------------------£1.25 each BMW
e) 61.13.0.005.198 pin contact x4------------------------------------£1.36 each BMW
f) 61.13.6.925.611 4 pin female connector x1-----------------------£0.90 BMW
g) 61.13.8.380.696 4 pin male connector x1-------------------------£1.45 BMW

I purchased a rear headlining cover from Ebay for some switches i needed for a rear seat electric backrest
retrofit and attached to the cover was the interior motion sensor,so not sure how much the interior motion
sensor can be sourced for separately.

Rear headlining cover i purchased from Ebay for parts.

Image Image

To summarise i relocated the interior motion sensor in my X5 to make way for the sunglasses holder.

To begin with push in the 4 pin contacts (part No 61.13.0.005.198) into the blue female connector (part No 61.13.6.925.611) and lock in place
and also push in the 4 bushing contacts (part No 61.13.0.005.197) into 4 pin male connector (part No 61.13.8.380.696) and lock in place.
Next slide some heat shrink over 4 wires and solder the wires together, pin 1 on female connector soldered to pin 1 on male
connector, pin 2 on female to pin 2 on male and so forth, once soldering is complete and covered with heat shrink cover
wires with insulating tape.

Picture of cable once complete

Image Image

Next, using a flat head screw driver prise out the front interior light and alarm motion sensor

Image Image

Using a torx T10 remove the 4 torx screws holding the cover to the headlining (1 in each corner), disconnect the relevant
connections and remove the cover.

Next remove the rear cover. Prise out the light in the same way as the front using a flat head screw driver

Unclip the rear cover from the headlining, this is a little tricky, one of the tabs can seen behind the screw in the picture below, 8 tabs in
total, 2 on each side of the cover. Using a flat head screw driver push the tabs in a direction away from you and at the same time gently
pull down on the cover, once you have released a few tabs give the cover a firm pull downwards and the rest should free off quite easily.
I`m not sure whether removing the screw (in the pic below) will make life easier in removing the rear cover, by all means give it a try.

Tip: plastics are usually easy to work with in a warm environment, start the car and put the heater on to warm the interior before you remove the rear cover.

Close up of the tabs

Heres a pic to show the difference between the two rear covers. The cover on the left is the new replacement, at this point i`d like to point out
if your cover has vents at the front and rear of the cover as in the picture then your interior alarm sensor is already located in the
rear thus no need to remove the rear cover. Picture also shows location of 8 tabs that need to be released for removal of rear cover.

Using a wire coat hanger or similar feed the new cable through from the rear to the front of the car

Connect the blue connector to the cars wiring plug that was originally connected to the front interior motion sensor. Plug connectors
fit only one way

Image Image

Next fit the rear interior motion sensor to the rear cover. This just slots and clips into place, be sure to route the cable along the slots
in the cover

Connect the cable that you installed earlier to the interior motion sensor.

Allign and push the rear cover back up towards the headlining making sure all 8 tabs have clipped back in place and re-connect
and attach the rear interior light.

Swap out and re-connect any switches, infra red remotes and mic for telephone to your new front cover, allign cover to headlining
and screw in the 4 T10 torx screws, connect the plug connector for the interior light and re-attach interior light to the front cover.

Almost done, sit in your car and lock the doors using your remote key, if the alarm sounds after a few seconds (10 to 20 seconds) your
new interior motion sensor is working as it should.

Just like to add although this cannot work for pan roofs it can however work for E53 X5`s with a normal sunroof. A longer adapter cable will be
required and routed differently.

Finally, as you can see from these pics the sunglasses holder is held to the front headlining cover using 4 Torx T10 screws. My local dealer informs me
this part cannot be purchased seperately and comes with the headlining cover/console when ordering new. If the sunglasses holder can be sourced
seperatley i cannot see why it cannot be fitted to your existing front headlining cover.

Image Image

Close up of part numbers found on front headlining cover and sunglasses holder . Part number on the left was found on the headlining cover and part number
on the right found on the sunglasses holder

Image Image
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

kkodal78

Re: Sunglasses Holder Retrofit

Post by kkodal78 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:26 am

great write up.. i had no idea there were X5s without sunglasses holder in the front.
2005(55) VW TouranTDI met. black

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Sunglasses Holder Retrofit

Post by storminmike » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:54 pm

[quote=""kkodal78""]great write up.. i had no idea there were X5s without sunglasses holder in the front.[/quote]

I started a thread yonks ago on this subject....never got round to this level of detail though

Great write up

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1244&hilit=sunglasses

I take it the existing motion sensor at the front is of no use in the rear?