Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Odd clicking sound ??

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Johnny-p

Odd clicking sound ??

Post by Johnny-p » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 am

Hi all

As title, I noticed this morning that on start up I have an annoying clicking sound coming from somewhere in the region of the front passenger seat and rear footwell?

No warning lights, no performance difference ??
Only noticed it because the radio was turned off so don't know how long it's been there, can't hear it from the outside.
Stopped the car after about 10 miles to pop into tesco, started her up again and no noise??

Any ideas????
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

ITBarbie

Re: Odd clicking sound ??

Post by ITBarbie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:05 am

I had this on mine when I first got it and didn't know what it was until these nice people told me on here it was just the pre heater when it's get cold and sure enough it was nothing to worry about and just turns off when it warms up.  I'm sure you'll get the full tech explanation in a minute :-)
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

fenj66

Post by fenj66 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 am

this sounds like the webasto aux coolant heater which should come on automatically at temperatures of 5C or less and is quite normal.

the clicking noise is the heater fuel pump located under the passenger side of car.  it usually runs until the temp gauge gets up to full heat.  :)
05 stirling grey 3.0d Auto. mods - park heater, reverse cam, aux in

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:14 am

PHEW!!!

Thanks,thought it was gonna be yet again another expensive trip to the Indy
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:49 am

Exactly what I was going to say!! Lol :-)
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a