Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Enable TV in Motion ad Aux heating with BMW 1.4.0

How-To articles ONLY go here.
khuram-23

Enable TV in Motion ad Aux heating with BMW 1.4.0

Post by khuram-23 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 pm

Hi Guys,

i know a lot of threads have been created regarding this but for some reason i can't find any that tell exactly which module the tv in motion option is located in, when using the bmw 1.4.0 scanner. If someone could tell me the module name or screenshot of the page i would appreciate it and also do i just need to check off teh aux heating box to activate it, is there anything else that has to be selected for it to work?

thanks in advance

Sim0x

Re: Enable TV in Motion ad Aux heating with BMW 1.4.0

Post by Sim0x » Thu May 08, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi mate,

It can be done with BMW Scanner 1.4.0 in the TV Functions section of VID (Video Module)
I created a screen shot of it while I was in the car:

Benstan

Post by Benstan » Thu May 08, 2014 8:33 pm

I may be a bit of a goody two-shoes and I'm not singling OP out, but why would anyone want to do this? 

It's illegal but moreover it's dangerous - why would you want to be distracted when driving a 2 ton vehicle?  Drink driving is widely seen as unacceptable, using mobile phones when driving is apparently even more so, but having the TV on is surely worse still?

I don't think having the sat nav on is quite the same, but that can be bad enough I admit.  Sat nav is meant to be glanced at for a short burst (as you might a speedo) whereas a tv is designed to hold attention.

Just my 2 penneth
Current: 2012 X5 MSport 3.0d - carbon black, 3rd row, panoramic, media, TV, top-view camera, power boot.
Former: 2006 520d SE (E60) - auto, black leather

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 08, 2014 8:43 pm

I agree, and I hope there is never an accident with any of those who have done it.

Digital TV coverage in cars is so bad the system will probably be blue screen more than a working picture.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sim0x

Post by Sim0x » Fri May 09, 2014 8:03 am

Oh yeah its definitely illegal and I do not condone anything illegal as you do it at your own risk, but as Richard stated and I found out myself, you will not get a picture really when on the move.

** The image I posted was for educational purposes only. **

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Fri May 09, 2014 5:46 pm

And you are making an assumption that it is being done for the benefit of the driver and not for a passenger. Nevertheless, just seems daft to me.

I was once in a taxi in Italy going home late at night and the taxi driver watched a football match on the screen all the way whilst driving at typical Italian taxi driver type of speed.......... :'(

Smee

Benstan

Post by Benstan » Fri May 09, 2014 9:00 pm

[quote="Smeeagain"]
And you are making an assumption that it is being done for the benefit of the driver and not for a passenger.
[/quote]

Tricky one to argue for even the best defence counsel!
Current: 2012 X5 MSport 3.0d - carbon black, 3rd row, panoramic, media, TV, top-view camera, power boot.
Former: 2006 520d SE (E60) - auto, black leather

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Current Construction & Use Regulations 1986

Television sets

109.  (1)  No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;
(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;
(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or
(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.
(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

The reference to a CRT is interesting because no one uses them nowadays.  Perhaps there is a defence and it's how the Police get away with having their displays in view.  It might be argued that current displays come under the 'cinematographic apparatus'.  I'll leave that to the legal eagles.....

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

ChrisLux

Post by ChrisLux » Mon May 12, 2014 11:28 am

I must say I had it done in my old E39, but that was to be able to get the 2 rear headrest screens working
to watch TV for the kids.

If you put something on that you have absolutely no interest in, then it doesn't affect you  ;)
'97 E36 B8 4.6 Touring (19/27) , Individual Tannen Grun

'02 E39 ACS5 3.0d Touring , Individual Velvet Blau - sold

'05 E53 X5 3.0d , Sapphire Schwartz

'07 R56 Mini Cooper S , Astro Schwartz

Freude am Fahren - Sheer Driving Pleasure

khuram-23

Post by khuram-23 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the reply i did manage to do it and just for the record it doesnt really work as some people already mentioned but it works when stuck in traffic so as im not moving it does not really seem dangerous.