Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

whats it worth

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
pwo

whats it worth

Post by pwo » Mon May 19, 2014 2:06 pm

hi, the time has come to sell the x5 as we only need one car now, im looking for a bit of help to decide on a price to put it up for please . its a 3ltr petrol sport  with the bmw aero kit and 20 inch wheels . full service history and bmw warranty on it as i bought it from a bmw dealer 2 and half years ago and extended the warranty  . 104000 miles ,elec memory comfort  seats with elec lumber support. xenon lights and folding mirrors ,sunroof , parking sensors front and back , sat nav, tv,  6 disk changer , elec rear seats , heated seats front and back , detachable tow bar , air bags front and rear, hill descent , auto climate control front and rear, auto headlights and wipers ,comfort windscreen , tinted windows , elec steering wheel and mirrors , all books and keys ,  2002 model . private plate wont be included . any ideas would be very helpful , thanks
Last edited by pwo on Thu May 22, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SlimX47

Re: whats it worth

Post by SlimX47 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi pwo,

A rough guide can be extracted by starting the 'sell' process on auto trader, you put your reg and mileage in and it gives you a suggestion based on what others are up for on the site. You might be able to get another 10-20% if it has full history, clean, not been smoked in etc.
Good starting point if nothing else ;-)

pwo

Post by pwo » Mon May 19, 2014 2:25 pm

thanks , ive already done that and as you say it gives you a starting point but will not take into account the kit and the other options , ive looked on auto trader and ebay and prices seem to be all over and not seen one with the aero kit for sale recently so im a bit unsure at the moment . thanks for the advice .

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:05 pm

TBH all the kit only realises about 10% of original retail when it comes to sale time; sadly.

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Hmm................Psuedo advert ?
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

pwo

Post by pwo » Tue May 20, 2014 8:07 am

hi, sorry if it looks like an advert but i thought i could get some advice from people who probably have a better idea than myself on this subject . i wont be putting it for sale yet as i need to swap plates over and stuff but when i do i would have asked to put it in the for sale section as i think its pretty obvious that i havnt just joined to sell some thing . if anyone has any more helpfull advice on the matter i would really appreciate it , thanks.
Last edited by pwo on Tue May 20, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Tue May 20, 2014 8:26 am

i would say price it about £500 more than a basic one, some of the early petrols are now changing hands very cheap, its not going to double for having an aero kit and a few heated seats, use your judgement use autotrader then add abit, as snipez says sadly £1000s of options dont put £1000s on resale price, especially at 12 yr old
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue May 20, 2014 11:01 am

However, not having some options will affect the resale price.  Not having something like the nav can take a big chunk off.  Your spec is good so that won't be an issue.

You just can't win it seems... :(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

pwo

Post by pwo » Tue May 20, 2014 11:17 am

hope fully having a good spec and looking a bit different may be in its favour . sat nav and a tow bar are very usefull things but the kit may not be to everyones liking though , i suppose its a matter of finding the right person at that time . thanks.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Without seeing the paintwork and panel condition, crawling over the car or scrutinising the paperwork and service history I would say 5k.

Scruffy petrol pre-facelifts over 100k are typically circa £4k cars but I don't think it unreasonable to expect a grand or more higher if the car is a good example and genuinely wanting for little work or tlc .

That takes you to 5k maybe 500 extra for the chairs and aero pack plus the 20's so that takes you to 5500 or an optimistic £5995

Comms pack is nice but the days of that kit adding a grand are gone though its hard to sell a V8 without it.

Despite all the above it is actually becoming harder to see good clean nicely presented examples of pre facelift cars that are nicely specced, well maintained and historied.

The wise buyer snaps up decent cars for sensible money. The unwise or sometimes just unlucky may pay a little less for a money pit or neglected car. The picky will hunt out the nicest cars which are often up for the stronger money.

Your car has one if the best specs I have seen and the best I have seen on a 3.0i for as long as I can remember.

One observation.....it is either a sport or an SE it can't be both as per your details provided ( I suspect it is a sport - if it is it will have anthracite headlining and 3 spoke steering wheel).

One potential issue is the buyer you need to find if you want firm money - Clearly a car with heated seats front and rear plus comfort fronts aero pack and 20's may appeal to someone who appreciates the spec. The potential issue for you as a seller is  that those that appreciate and desire the spec of your car may also know the differences between the engines. That means they will know the 4.4i is in another league to drive progressively over 50mph. The 4.6is more so (shame the insurance can be significantly higher) and they will know the 3.0d is cheaper to fuel and easier to sell later if well maintained. So ideally you need a buyer who loves spec but is happy to pass on V8's or diesels.

I have driven a 3.0i and actually like them. They are urgent enough around town and lighter up front than the V8's and arguably the 3.0i engine is the most reliable unit in the E53.

I think that your target buyer is either someone clueless re engine performance &/or mpg differences or perhaps someone who knows their spec but needs to keep insurance  premiums lower....i.e an enthusiast in their 20's maybe with a young family and enough disposable in one to run a used X5.

All in my opinion only of course.

Hope this helps you gauge the money and potential buyer(s).

:)
Last edited by AW8 on Wed May 21, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

pwo

Post by pwo » Tue May 20, 2014 4:49 pm

thanks AW8 , really useful and interesting. i will double check about the sport se , part as i know on the original add from the bmw dealer i bought it from it said sport exclusive with spirit of exclusivity black leather .i will have to dig it out and check. the paint is very good and no dents anywhere on it at all and the history is all bmw exept one i think ,  i was thinking around the 6000 mark would be sensible and not too unrealistic . thanks

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:08 am

The exclusive models (SE) or sport exclusive were as far as I know only available on late facelift cars from end of 2005. Interiors were nappa leather and with pipped leather mats.......though many of these mat sets now looking very tired or binned I would think.   

As for "spirit of exlusivity"  leather..........it sounds nice albeit I don't recall seeing it in any marketing info at the time but I don't remember every single detail to be honest.

This may help clarify...............note the colour references too.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/bmw/bmw-x5-18-08-05.asp
Last edited by AW8 on Wed May 21, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

pwo

Post by pwo » Wed May 21, 2014 10:21 am

i forgot to look out the original add last night but will defo do it today as i want to check it now , thanks AW8 for the info which was interesting and will find the add as i know it said about the leather and want to find out now if the dealer was making it up or where they got the info from , thanks.

pwo

Post by pwo » Thu May 22, 2014 8:32 am

hi , AW8 , you were right about it not been an exclusive . i have checked and its a 3.0i sport , ive got no idea where i got the se bit from but probably just getting mixed up with our other car maybe . on the original paperwork from the bmw garage it does say the interior finish is black spirit of exclusivity leather though so at least i got that that bit right .    :)

Sim0x

Post by Sim0x » Thu May 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Get a quote from WeBuyAnyCar.com for a guide price, then tripple the price as they always seem to try and rip people off with low offers lol