Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Burst pipe somewhere - will it be covered by warranty

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Smatty

Post by Smatty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm

I've got a 6 month E70 4.0sd, and during one of the deep freezes a pipe that feeds the screen squirters has burst.

Its going in on Monday to sort, will be out of action for 2-3 days as they will have to lift out all the chairs,fascia etc to find the burst pipe.

Will this be covered by warranty???? :cry:

Philb

Re: Burst pipe somewhere - will it be covered by warranty

Post by Philb » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:59 pm

6 month old, I would say so, don't settle for anything else...

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Absolutely yes this should be covered under warranty on a 6 month Vehicle.. its either very bad design that it was allowed to freeze or it was faulty.

I don't think I would pay for any repairs on a vehicle that young!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:45 pm

As stated above all should be covered by warranty. Am a little confused as to why the chairs and facia have to be removed. Can't see any need for the washer pipes to be inside the vehicle.
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Thats a clear warranty job nothing to worry about there at all mate unless you have no warranty that is. Why they have to do so much work just for that pipe god knows.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Might be the pipe that feeds the rear washer - that might get passed under the carpet.

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm

[quote=""StumpyPete""]Might be the pipe that feeds the rear washer - that might get passed under the carpet.[/quote]

Yes had thought that aswell but in absence of more detail asumed front washers. Also for a pipe to burst in the passenger compartment would be very unusual and if it has burst inside the car all kinds of damage could be done to carpets, electrics and so on. Smatty, really hope all gets sorted without major issue :thumbsup:
Current
Previous

flyfs6

Post by flyfs6 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 pm

What he said ^^^

Assuming it's something to do with washers, I would make sure the concentration level of fluid in the reservoir is strong enough.

BMW have declined some claims due to weak fluid mixtures. Another word of advise to those reading this is to only use BMW approved washer concentrates because if your car suffers from blockages as a result of crystallisation on filters within the washer bottles, caused by using cheap inadequate concentrates, it's classed as a non warranty repair. Trust me using their solution seems to make a noticeable difference.

It's a known issue on many models caused by using certain types of cheap fluids. It and other resulting problems may not covered by warranty, or rather were not covered based of what I have read.

Smatty

Post by Smatty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:28 am

I use decent screenwash so fingers crossed.

The reason for the big repair is the water is disappearing, but not visible externally (underneath) so the water is somewhere. Goes in Monday, they better not give me a shitty little car as I have a few business trips to make to Yorkshire

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 am

sods law has intervened. I have the same problem now. Fluid tank reported low on Tuesday after a big frost on Monday. My passenger headlight nozzle popped off, but I fixed that, and now I have a soggy drivers carpet. BIG PROBLEM THOUGH......my car is out of factory warranty and I doubt the extended will pay for it. So I'm looking at a home job.

Had some of the trim out this morning and the accelerator pedal off but I can't seem to get to the pipe without taking the console out. I believe it runs along the side of the transmission tunnel - anyone know for sure? My leak appears to be quite localised to the front - no sign of dampness in the rear anywhere, so I'm hopeful that unbolting the front seat is all that is required to lift the front carpet on the drivers side.....we can but hope.

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:25 pm

Thats sounds a right PITA Stumpy :headbang: I'm still confused as to why it would leak in the passenger compartment, is it the rear washer system that is causing this problem i.e. rear jet gets blocked with ice and builds up back pressure and blows at the weakest point? if so this is surely a design issue and as such should be taken up with a main dealer. You mention that your 'X' is out of warranty, by how long and what extended cover do you have? I would get to involved just yet until you have spoken to BMW.
Current
Previous

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:45 pm

[quote=""Chompers""]Thats sounds a right PITA Stumpy :headbang: I'm still confused as to why it would leak in the passenger compartment, is it the rear washer system that is causing this problem i.e. rear jet gets blocked with ice and builds up back pressure and blows at the weakest point? if so this is surely a design issue and as such should be taken up with a main dealer. You mention that your 'X' is out of warranty, by how long and what extended cover do you have? I would get to involved just yet until you have spoken to BMW.[/quote]

Warranty ran out last may, got extended warranty but that excludes coolant and fuel hoses - so pretty sure they would use the same argument for washer hoses. The pipe for the rear washers apparently runs along the side of the transmission tunnel on the drivers side under the carpet. It then get soaked up by the carpet.
Last edited by StumpyPete on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:47 pm

All these problems as they no longer have the rear tanks in cars. To save money I understand, but I did like my rear tanks I had on my older cars.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm told by a friendly tech that the solution is to take out the seat (4 x T50 bolts), two trim pieces and then I should be able to lift the carpet to access a joint which has seperated. That should be less than an hour's work I would think!

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Take out seat means disconnecting battery, right? To avoid the airbag light coming on.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.