Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rotational Vibration under load - Any Help Appreciated

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Rotational Vibration under load - Any Help Appreciated

Post by Raj » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 am

[quote="shadrack"]
Ive done donuts on a few bmws now not x5s but the crack can be very hard to spot without removal.  Is it possible to get strapped on a rolling road or similar so you vould run it at vibration speed and look/ listen at same time? Just before you start throwing £££s at the big stuff
[/quote]

Hi Mark, the flex discs and centre props haft bearing are the only things to replace before the 'big' stuff so they are my next port of call. The discs are £95+ vat each and the centre bearing is £78.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 am

[quote="holidaychicken"]
hi all, i am a filthy range rover owner but have been getting some help off a few of your members, Richard included, as i think i am right in saying the RR and the X5 are the same underneath, mine is the 4.4 petrol.

it might be worth googling the L322 for the same problem as it could be the donut as you say, the RR's all have had a front  diff recall to add a flexible joint in at the front to stop the diff splines failing i think but all sorts of other problems can cause this on rr's from mud on the prop shafts, suspension bushes, warped brake discs and sticking calipers, over size wheels, and also out of balance wheels,  as this seems to be common, but probably not in your case if you have tried another set.

i also rebuilt the transmission, with a lot of help, which again i think will be the ZF units, if yours is a 4.4, or GM for the tractors, i mean diesel, as i also had a small oil leak but i had the annoying torque converter lock up clutch rumble as well but thats at slower speeds than 55.

i think if its not wheels then my money would be on the donut, especially if its worse under load
[/quote]

Cheers for the response. Have been doing a lot of research on the web including the L322's.

Let's see how it goes.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:56 am

[quote="crash"]
Raj,

Will be following this with interest as i seem to be suffering the exact same issues as yourself!  :(

I have noticed that the noise increases further going uphill as well as when accelerating, yet as you have mentioned backs off to almost non existent when you lift off the throttle!

After replacing bushes, ball joints, one wheel bearing, full set of star rated tyres and a full alignment i am now on to the flexi joint for the next in line for replacement.

Not had a look under there yet but i assume the X5 has some sort of central support bearing that could also be the issue!

Ash
[/quote]

Hi Ash. I'll be getting parts ordered hopefully tomorrow and fit em.

Will let you know how I get on.

crash

Post by crash » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:25 am

cheers Raj

Where you ordering the parts from?

Ash

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:40 pm

[quote="crash"]
cheers Raj

Where you ordering the parts from?

Ash
[/quote]

I get good prices from Sytner Sutton Coldfield.

Will see what price I can get tomorrow.

crash

Post by crash » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:58 am

Any news Raj?

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:21 pm

[quote="crash"]
Any news Raj?
[/quote]

Best price from the dealers is £102 for each of those doughnut joints. So I'm gonna let Jason take a look first when down London way a week Monday to see if he can work out exactly what it is first.

£200 for the 2 joints on the hope it cures it is a lot of money, so rather get it checked to try and be absolutely sure what it is.

crash

Post by crash » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:11 pm

I have seen the febi flexi joints for around the £40 - £50 each, two different sizes front and back and the febi bearing complete with mounting bracket is around the £40 mark! The vibration on acceleration has gotten worse on mine over the last week so may take it to the local Indy to give it a once over to get a second opinion! Can hear a slight bearing like whine on mine now as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi Raj
Any updates on this??
Mine has had the same symptoms since I bought it 7k ago..
Had a new set of tyres,front bushes discs and pads all round and a Sticky caliper replaced and still no change.!
It hasn't got any worse and I've just learnt to live with it..
Dont want to spend anymore on it without an idea of what may be causing it!!

Cheers

John
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Not  sure if this will help you guys but certainly worth a check.

I spent the day down at Jason's and we finally seem to have got to the bottom of my issues. After driving it at 70mph on the ramp so Jason could see the vibration in motion it appears my front tyres/alloys were out of balance and the tyre may not have been seated right. At speed the front wheels were shaking a touch and after taking it to a tyre fitter he trusts you could see on the balancing machine the tyre across the tread had a small lump where it has worn unevenly.

After shifting the tyre 90 degrees on the alloy and rebalancing the majority of my vibration has been sorted. Still a very small amount but that is now due to the uneven wear on the front tyres.  As they were new only last year I can't really bin th em off but can live with the small vibration that still remains.

Did also discover the connection into the gearbox is the cause of my very small gearbox leak so that's another job on the list.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Thank god not as major as we both silently thought. You have a phone call update owed my way pls. I'll be back at Jason's tomorrow potentially if you're back in the area...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Heyps63

Post by Heyps63 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:41 am

Not had a look under there yet but i assume the X5 has some sort of central support bearing that could also be the issue.

crash

Post by crash » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:46 am

[quote="Heyps63"]
Not had a look under there yet but i assume the X5 has some sort of central support bearing that could also be the issue.
[/quote]

You would be assuming correctly mate, it has a central support bearing and two flexible joints as well.

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Good news then Raj!!

I doubt mine has anything to do with wheels/tyres as it has new boots all round with laser alignment- even had them off to recheck balancing and all ok..

My vibration seems to occur the worst between 15-20 mph feeling it through the seat and gets less n less as speed rises and at cruising speed can only feel it through the accelerator pedal..

Any thoughts anyone ?

Cheers

John
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Thing is mine were perfectly balanced too but it's only as you gently spin it on the balsa c'ing machine you can see the uneven/slight lump across the tread.

You'd still need to check things like driveshafts, bushes, etc.

The central support bearing and flex discs are of course other known issues.